• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB - 7/8 SS Washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delvec28

Reaction score
I need 3 or 4 stainless steel 7/8" washers to fit my 1/2" brass nipple. Cannot find these anywhere and I would really like to get them sooner rather than later.

If anyone has these in the NJ/Philly area, please let me know!

I'm right outside of Philly, in Audubon. How about you?

I posted another thread about building a mash tun cooler, and I have both a set of 3/8" brass nipple, ball valve, barbs, etc and a set of 1/2" pieces. The 1/2" brass nipple fits better in the drain plug hole, however I know I could find 5/8" SS washers at a local Fastenal. I just question whether the valve setup will be sturdy enough with a smaller brass nipple.

Any thoughts on this? If you're close enough though I could just pick up the 7/8" washers and be done with it!

Oh, I know of his reputation and I subscribe to his YouTube channel ;)

There are no Menard's by me, but I've been to Home Depot, Lowes and Ace/True Value and I couldn't find any 5/8" or 7/8". Lowes did have 3/4" so I bought those but they are a hair too small to fit over the 1/2" brass nipple.

I also checked some parts online at Fastenal and my local store has the 5/8" SS washers in stock but no 7/8".

If you ever need stainless hardware and have one close, try a West Marine store. Stainless is damn near required on a boat and they stock a lot of odd stuff because of that. Pricey perhaps but available.

have you checked ebay? I've found them on there on several occassions.

I have, but if possible I would like to avoid shipping charges for only a few washers, and I sort of want to put this cooler mash tun together by the end of the week.

It definitely is a pain having to wait this out... luckily I have about a week buffer zone for my 10 gallon pot and ingredients to ship.

buy from Mcmaster. I get everything I order delivered the next day (in NJ).

If you cant get em anywhere else PM me with the ID OD and width and ill machine you a few tomorrow. Send em to you as my good samaritan deed for the year. Im in CA though so if its not going to fit into your timeline sorry

I replied to your other thread , I got some aluminum washers from the Honda dealer, they are for a differential Drain plug and they fit over my 1/2 fittings. Stop by your local dealer and see what they have. It worked for me

I have the following SS washers (from McMaster) in hand that I can mail you tomorrow (from Morris Plains):

ID = .875", OD = 1.375", thick = .060"
ID = 1.130", OD = 1.625", thick = .060"

let me know.

Steve

I'm right outside of Philly, in Audubon. How about you?

I posted another thread about building a mash tun cooler, and I have both a set of 3/8" brass nipple, ball valve, barbs, etc and a set of 1/2" pieces. The 1/2" brass nipple fits better in the drain plug hole, however I know I could find 5/8" SS washers at a local Fastenal. I just question whether the valve setup will be sturdy enough with a smaller brass nipple.

Any thoughts on this? If you're close enough though I could just pick up the 7/8" washers and be done with it!

Piscataway isn't really worth the drive when the postage would be much cheaper. It sounds like you may have gotten a nipple that is a bit too long since you need so many washers for shims. What's the wall thickness of the cooler where the hole is? I have 1-1/8" long close and 2" long nipples.

I got homeboy covered. Made some 316 ss washers in about 7 minutes as I was running other machinery, and the company can pick up the UPS tab. Cost = $0

Delvec as you put your washers on you can be amused to know they were machined on a 350 thousand dollar lathe ;)

ForumRunner_20110802_111331.jpg

Piscataway isn't really worth the drive when the postage would be much cheaper. It sounds like you may have gotten a nipple that is a bit too long since you need so many washers for shims. What's the wall thickness of the cooler where the hole is? I have 1-1/8" long close and 2" long nipples.

I got a 1-1/2" nipple, I don't think the wall is that thick although I haven't measured it. Honestly I may only need 2 but I want a few more to be safe in case. I also don't have any SS lock nuts so I want to ensure there are enough washers so I can tighten this up with my barb adapter on the inside, and the ball valve on the outside.

If I have any extra, I will be sure to pay it forward to any up and coming AG brewers who need the hardware. My buddy is the one who got me into homebrewing, and he still does extract batches, so I may have to convert him!

Delvec as you put your washers on you can be amused to know they were machined on a 350 thousand dollar lathe ;)

That is pretty freakin' cool!

Also a shout out to blacks4, he had a few extra from McMaster, and he was going to mail them out, too.

It goes without saying but this forum is great, and I'm pretty astounded by the generosity of some people!! :rockin:

delvec28 said:
It goes without saying but this forum is great, and I'm pretty astounded by the generosity of some people!! :rockin:

Yep! Were like one big happy drunken dysfunctional family :drunk:

Back