First time brewer, recipe critique and some questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amc22

Reaction score
Ok, so I just ordered a starter kit, and some ingredients to brew my first beer. I would like some opinions, this is going to be a 2.5gal batch.

3.15 lbs dark liquid extract
1lb lactose
2lb flaked oats
1/2lb roasted barley
1/2lb crystal 120l

1oz fuggles hops 60mins
.5oz fuggles hops 30 mins
Wyeast 1056 american ale

Now my questions are:

1. Should I only use half a packet of yeast since I am only making 2.5 gallons?

2. Can I use dark liquid extract to make a starter? I see everyone says to use dme, so how would I go about making a starter from dark liquid extract?

3. How much corn sugar should I use for priming?

Appreciate any help, thanks.

1. I'd say that you'd be safe from overpitching if you used the entire yeast pack.

2. You can use liquid extract, but it's a ***** to measure out. Use 1.2g LME for each 10mL of water. But you probably don't need to make a starter if using a smack pack for a 2½ gallon batch. Just smack it ahead of time.

3. Priming sugar calculator. <---Click Here

~Now my questions~
How are you planning on mashing those oats?
I don't have any experience with lactose, but I'd image a whole pound in a 2½ gallon batch would make it quite sweet. Are you shooting for a very sweet oatmeal stout?

Thanks for the input. I was going to put the oats in the muslin bag with the roasted barley and crystal 120l, and good point about the lactose, maybe I'll cut it in half.

I use LME for starters. As a rough guide, use 1lb to a gallon. So for a pint you would use 2 ozs. I pour the LME into a glass jug on some scales, and have no problem measuring it out. Don't worry if it is a little high or low in weight. Close is good.

Dark can be used. Light is better. Dark has more unfermentables in it.

Use the whole pack of yeast. Treat the beer as a starter for the next beer. Leave this one on the yeast for at least 2 weeks (preferably more), and when you are ready to rack, be ready to brew your next batch and pitch it straight on the yeast cake. Providing your sanitiation is good, there should be no problem.

Ditch the lactose. I have never seen a beer with lactose in he recipe. Next thing you will be back here saying your beer finished high, and what can you do about it.

The oats are not going to do anything from steeping. you have nothing to convert the starches. All you will get is a cloudy beer from it. It will help with head retention, but that can be done with 0.25 lbs of it.

I would suggest going with 0.25 lbs crystal, 0.25 lbs of roast, and the dark LME and nothing except the hops.

Hops ...... That 30 minute addition is not doing you much good. If you want more bitterness add it with the 60 minute addition. I would suggest splitting it into 0.25 ozs at 10 minutes and 0.25 ozs at flame-out.

It will probably end up similar to a cream stout. I just did a cream stout that had lactose. It did finish high.

I use LME for starters. As a rough guide, use 1lb to a gallon. So for a pint you would use 2 ozs. I pour the LME into a glass jug on some scales, and have no problem measuring it out. Don't worry if it is a little high or low in weight. Close is good.

Dark can be used. Light is better. Dark has more unfermentables in it.

Use the whole pack of yeast. Treat the beer as a starter for the next beer. Leave this one on the yeast for at least 2 weeks (preferably more), and when you are ready to rack, be ready to brew your next batch and pitch it straight on the yeast cake. Providing your sanitiation is good, there should be no problem.

Ditch the lactose. I have never seen a beer with lactose in he recipe. Next thing you will be back here saying your beer finished high, and what can you do about it.

The oats are not going to do anything from steeping. you have nothing to convert the starches. All you will get is a cloudy beer from it. It will help with head retention, but that can be done with 0.25 lbs of it.

I would suggest going with 0.25 lbs crystal, 0.25 lbs of roast, and the dark LME and nothing except the hops.

Hops ...... That 30 minute addition is not doing you much good. If you want more bitterness add it with the 60 minute addition. I would suggest splitting it into 0.25 ozs at 10 minutes and 0.25 ozs at flame-out.

I was reading that steeping the oats would still add body and texture, just wouldn't add much flavor, but I guess not? I wanted this to be a thicker/sweeter stout with some roasty flavors. I won't be able to pitch my next beer on this yeast cake though, because this batch is going to last me quite a while, as I do not drink much.

Thanks for the input though, I am going to take your advice on the hops and crystal/roast, as I thought it may be a bit too much, and just cut the lactose in half.

Edit: I was doing some reading, and was wondering if it was possible to mix a small amount of malt extract and water (like with a starter) and add the oats in, to make a sort of mini mash? I know it probably sounds stupid, but its late, and sounds like a good idea haha.

I was doing some reading, and was wondering if it was possible to mix a small amount of malt extract and water (like with a starter) and add the oats in, to make a sort of mini mash? I know it probably sounds stupid, but its late, and sounds like a good idea haha.

Will not work. Malt extract is basically concentrated wort. It has been fully converted and boiled to kill anything in it.

You need a pound or 2 of crushed 2-row, 6-row, Pale malt, or other base grain, and steep/mash that together with the flaked oats. The grains will provide the enzymes to convert the oats. Use roughly 1.25 quarts of water per lb of grain, and heat to 160/165 F, then add the grains. This will bring the temp down to about 150/155 F. Maintain at this temperature for 30 minutes to an hour. Then heat to 170 and drain of the liquid. Rinse the grains with more water at 170 to extract more of the sugars. Then you will be good to go.

Back