The World Cup Approacheth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There hasn't been anything as cool as this at all this time around.

You never saw this then?

1276737968137.gif

AAARRRRRGGGG WHERE'S THE SOCCER?! Yeah, I'm with Revvy... I don't know how I'm going to survive the next 4 years. I need to buy me some cable and that-there DirectKick.

Well, at least there's an MLS match on ESPN Thursday, so that's one less day of withdrawal. Houston vs Toronto FC, both good clubs. It's also on ESPN3 - The Ocho (blatant Dodgeball reference.)

EDIT: LGI.... awesome

Our Timbers are joining the MLS so I am working on getting season tickets. Yeah it's not World Cup but it will have to do.

:D Couldn't resist when I saw this.

funny-celebrity-tweets-brett-erlich-twilight-soccer.jpg

Okay, that's funny but at the same time.... f*** that kid. How dare he compare the world's pastime to a franchise built on manipulating the emotions of tween girls and (rather disturbingly) middle-aged moms... I like to call them TwILFS

I have a match!! My face and your ass!!!

No...wait! Your ass and my face!!!

NO..... My face and your ass! yes, that's it! I have a match! Your ass and my face!

Dammit! I NEVER get that one right. :(

Saw the US coach on CNN this morning. He showed good dignity and good grace about all the controversies surrounding the matches. He agrees also that there should only be tech involvement regarding goal line incidents. From that I assume that he is understanding of the difficulty in implementing the somewhat difficult issue of close offside calls. Either way, he was gracious and righteous. :)

Edit: as soon as I posted this, i realized that this is NOT what most non-soccer US sports fans want to see in a coach. They want to see him spitting feathers and whining about the poor decisions. Oh well. :p

Nah, it's refreshing to see composure after witnessing so many Bobby Knight-type meltdowns over the years. Having a tantrum isn't going to get him any further with FIFA than this is but at least he's showing that he's not going to stoop to that level.

Saw the US coach on CNN this morning. He showed good dignity and good grace about all the controversies surrounding the matches. He agrees also that there should only be tech involvement regarding goal line incidents. From that I assume that he is understanding of the difficulty in implementing the somewhat difficult issue of close offside calls. Either way, he was gracious and righteous. :)

Edit: as soon as I posted this, i realized that this is NOT what most non-soccer US sports fans want to see in a coach. They want to see him spitting feathers and whining about the poor decisions. Oh well. :p

I'll go ahead and call shenanigans on that edit, sir. Non-soccer fans or recently-converted fans want to see a coach who'll go nuts. However, myself and others who grew up playing/watching/living soccer would much rather see a level-headed manager; yes even here in the States. I appreciated the fact that after the Slovenia game, Bradley seemed cool and collected and even when the reporter was trying to "poke the bear" he didn't say anything negative about the officiating. I really think Bob Bradley is a top-quality manager and USSF should not jump to any hasty decisions regarding his employment.

Hell, he's leaps-and-bounds over Bruce Arena... what a joke.

I'll go ahead and call shenanigans on that edit, sir. Non-soccer fans or recently-converted fans want to see a coach who'll go nuts. However, myself and others who grew up playing/watching/living soccer would much rather see a level-headed manager; yes even here in the States. I appreciated the fact that after the Slovenia game, Bradley seemed cool and collected and even when the reporter was trying to "poke the bear" he didn't say anything negative about the officiating. I really think Bob Bradley is a top-quality manager and USSF should not jump to any hasty decisions regarding his employment.

Hell, he's leaps-and-bounds over Bruce Arena... what a joke.

Shenanigans? I think you just agreed with me! ;) The thing about S#ccer, despite all the play acting and diving during the game becomes somewhat civilised during post match debate.

I completely disagree. And wasn't it England coach who was engaged in this?

(I need some coffee)

I'll go ahead and call shenanigans on that edit, sir. Non-soccer fans or recently-converted fans want to see a coach who'll go nuts.

I will have to yellow card you both for your comments. :D

I am very new to soccer kids started playing 5-6 years ago, I have never played, but have been learning the game a lot more as they progress in the level of soccer they play.

Anyway I would also rather have a composed and reserved coach. From what I gather him going bat-$hit would not do any good so it is a better to take it with a grain of salt and move on.

I don't like any call that cheats anyone out of hard work and the skill they put into whatever it was USA or not.

I am re-watching the England Germany game. Man that was an awesome first half. Terrible robbery though.

Not whining about the bad decision here, but I DO get a bit miffed when people like Jon Stewart think that England were as hopeless as the scoreline looked. Had that goal been given, it would have been a game changer. Oh well :)

I was at a car dealer last night, and the salesman was, I'm not sure what nationality, but he was an older guy with a heavy accent that might have been anything from Italian to algerian, and I noticed on his desk he had a team futbol flag. So I asked him how he felt about the down, and he was like, "Oh my god it's been 2 days and I'm going through match withdraw, I don't know what I'm going to do for the next four years." I laughed, I feel the same way after every world cup.

But the look on his face was priceless, like a junky waiting for his next fix.

Back