Anyone Do Boildowns For Lagers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
I'm not keen on wanting to do decoctions, and I've heard that taking the first gallon of runoff, and separately boiling it down to around a quart, then adding it to the finished main boil, makes for a nice flavor.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I have done something similar although, admittedly, I'd have to down a six pack of memory lapse to do it again.

On a Scottish Ale I let my kettle get red hot prior to running any wort into it. meaning, just as soon as it began to glow I ran the wort off. Man what an excitement and a show.

Made for some wonderful mellanoidins and some frightening mettalurgical contractions. I was warned prior to attempting that the "method" was not for the "faint of heart" but did it anyways.

The resulting beer was awesome. The scorched wort left at the bottom of the kettle was not. Liberal doses and soakings with PBW did the cleanup work for me tho'.

Lagers are good. I'm drinking one right now. It was Homercidal's rauchbier kit that he sent me since he couldn't get to it.

I saw a reference to this on another site and Denny gave it his blessing, so I wondered who knew of it here.

I figure when it comes back up with someone else's name on it, the herd will follow.;)

I'm going to try it out late fall (if not sooner) when I begin a series of lagers.

Back