Northeast... War of the Worts comp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly I realized last week that I gave away too many of the batch I really wanted to enter and have none left....

I plan on entering some of the last pale ale I brewed just for the heck of it (I might enter a second depending on how things turn out before the deadline).

Who's going to judging @ Iron Hill?

I'm planning on sending three entries, possibly four contingent on how the mild in primary finishes out.

1) Smoked Porter
2) English IPA
3) ESB
4) Mild

brewt00l, I might want to make the trip out to the judging.

Who's going to judging @ Iron Hill?

oh just noticed this change for this year:

The judging is not located at Iron Hill this year. The judging and awards ceremony will take place at two separate locations at the Shoppes at English Village shopping center.

Judging
Shoppes at English Vilage #230
1460 Bethlehem Pike
North Wales, PA 19454
Between Banana Republic and Trader Joes

Awards Ceremony
Iron Hill Brewery North Wales
Shoppes at English Village #100
1460 Bethlehem Pike
North Wales, PA 19454
at far left end of shopping center

Edit: Judging is closed to the public but the awards start @ 5pm in Iron Hill.

I've got 4 or maybe 5 to enter. I have to finish bottling some up tonight, so I can get them entered.

I wanted to go for the awards ceremony, but I think that day is my grandfather's 90th birthday.

Ok guys, lay the cards on the table.

I don't have all the scoresheets in front of me but here's a summary from memory:

Smoked Porter: Both judges noted NO SMOKE in flavor and aroma. Say what now? I knew the smoke was a little light for my tastes but 3lbs of Weyermann smoked and nothing? I'm going 5lbs next time. It scored 28/29 and both noted that it would have done much better in the plain Robust Porter category.

American Amber scored 28 - both noted it was too hoppy (it was a modified West Coast Blaster). I'll still brew it for me but no more comps.

English Barleywine - well received, no flaws other than "slightly" alcohol hot (it's 13%abv) scored 38/39.

The Baltic Porter scored 27 and it was noted that it lacked malt/sweetness and mouthfeel. I totally agree.

28 and a 30 or 31, can't remember (don't have the sheets handy)....neither were brewed specifically to style so I have no beef with the scores.

The judge feedback OTOH was all over the place and contradictory on the one. From the comments on my category 28 entry, it was pretty clear that the beers were served fairly chilly so if yours opened up/bloomed as it warmed to temp, they prb missed it.

Back