Yeast identification...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
Hello all: Does anyone know, or at least have a reasonably good (educated) guess as to just what yeast strain is used to ferment Beaujoais Nouveau? GF.

I guess it will differ with the vineyard.

Maybe Lalvin 71B-1122

71B-1122
Saccharomyces cerevisiae

Origin
Selected in Narbonne at the Institut national de recherche en agriculture

Oenological properties and applications
The 71B strain is a rapid starter with a constant and complete fermentation between 15° and 30°C (59° and 86°F) that has the ability to metabolize high amounts (20% to 40%) of malic acid. In addition to producing rounder, smoother, more aromatic wines that tend to mature quickly, it does not extract a great deal of phenols from the must so the maturation time is further decreased.

The 71B is used primarily by professional winemakers for young wines such as vin nouveau and has been found to be very suitable for blush and residual sugar whites. For grapes in regions naturally high in acid, the partial metabolism of malic acid helps soften the wine. The 71B also has the ability to produce significant esters and higher alcohols, making it an excellent choice for fermenting concentrates. An excellent choice for blush & residual sugar whites, nouveau & young red wines. Also a good choice for late harvest wines.

Thanks Orfy, I was sort of leaning that direction, mostly cuz it's the only yeast I have access to that mentions vin nouveau, but it's always good to have 2nd opinions; especially from those who know more about it than I do. Regards, GF.

Back