WB-06 Stop that!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gelatin

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a highly estery and phenolic weizen using WB-06. After 3 days it was fantastic, and now it's cooling down. The problem is it went like this:

1.061 - OG
1.019 - day 4
1.017 - day 6
1.010 - day 9

It's like a plateau then it dived down fast. I want to bottle quickly as I really want as much green taste to this as possible. I used WB-06. What are the odds it's going to drop down further or should I be fairly safe to bottle? It's at 84% attentuation already!

Even wanting the green flavour, I wouldn't bottle until 2-3 days of stable gravity. I'd rather lose some flavour then end up with a face full of glass.

Yeah, I'm going to bottle today if the gravity is still at 1.010; it can't go too much further at any rate. I hate when my yeast going all super-attenuating on me, this was going to be a hefty wheat at 5.8% ABV using the reference 72% attenuation on WB-06, now it's heading towards being some sort of imperial wheat at 6.8% ABV.

What was your mash temperature? Just curious because I mashed at 152 and got 78% attenuation which was more than I was expecting as well.

This was just a biab style mini-mash (I'm just getting into mashing), 1lb white wheat malt and 1b torrified wheat at 150 for 45minutes, ramp to 160 over the last 15 minutes, and poured a gallon of near-boiling water over the bag as it drained. Added 6lbs wheat DME.

My ending attenuation was 85%. Has a great banana/clove aroma but the flavor died very quickly with only a little clove remaining after a week in the bottle. Carbed up and was good to go after 3 days in bottle. Tasted smooth, but a little strong, and with a heavier citrus note than I would have liked.

I would say this was best at 12-14 days after brewing (2-4 days in bottle)! It just seems to be declining now, though it's still tasty.

Back