How old of a freezer is too old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granpooba19

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There is a ~20 cu. ft. freezer available to me for about $100. The only problem is that it is about 20 years old. I'm thinking that is probably too old to be able to handle the constant on and off from a temperature controller? Not to mention the energy it would suck back.

Probably not worth it, right?

My folks have a freezer that's over 40 years old. Never been serviced, never missed a beat and when the power goes out it stays cold better than a new freezer

I wouldn't worry about it being twenty years old.

As for going off and on with the controller, it should hold it's temperature well and it shouldn't be switching too often.

Urban legend that old fridges/freezers use more electricity, as for on off it will cycle less than if it's used as a freezer mine set at 39* cycles for about 5minutes every 45 minutes or so may end up harder on the start relay and overload but a 3 "N" 1 is an easy and cheap fix I keep a couple on hand. Agreed never buy a fridge that isn't running unless (like me) can repair.

Having lived long enough to have owned appliances that make a 20 year old freezer seem like a mere pup, it's hardly "urban legend" that modern refrigerators and freezers are far more efficient than anything made more than even 10 years ago.

Do you think the whole "Energy Star" program was just another faked moon landing?

Cheers! ;)

Having lived long enough to have owned appliances that make a 20 year old freezer seem like a mere pup, it's hardly "urban legend" that modern refrigerators and freezers are far more efficient than anything made more than even 10 years ago.

Do you think the whole "Energy Star" program was just another faked moon landing?

Cheers! ;)

Haha maybe it's just me being only 26, that a 20 year old freezer seems ancient and unworkable.

Haha maybe it's just me being only 26, that a 20 year old freezer seems ancient and unworkable.

A fair point. I am also 26, and at times both ancient and unworkable. I would never pay money for any device that was near-as-makes-no-difference as old as I am. There are bound to be better deals. I would not pay $100 cash for myself.

Cheers! ;)
All you have to do is the MATH. Volts x Amps = Watts Watts x Hours run x Days =Total Watts Total Watts divided by1000 = Kilowatts x Cost per Kw = Cost to run. The "Energy Star" was used to justify dropping the whole "ozone" depleting refrigerants. My old double tap 120 volt at 1.4 amp 168 watt runs 6 hours per day 365 days per year divided by 1000 x .13 per Kw. = $47.83 per year. The new one my friend just built, 115 volt x 3.4 amp 391 watt run the same amount of time will cost $111.32 per year. If you search this site you will find that many of the old fridges here are R-12 or ammonia charged and use LESS amps.

Back