Muscadine Grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertsbeer

Reaction score
Do Muscadine Grapes make good wine grapes? A guy on craigslist is selling them a 4 gallon bucket for $15, is it a good deal and how much do I need to make 5 gallons of wine?

I hear they make pretty good wine with enough sugar. You need about 10 lbs of grapes per gallon, and then somewhere around a pound of sugar per gallon of juice

Opinions very. Some muscadines, like noble's, are good wine grapes, if you like muscadine wine. They are a different animal than a cab or syrah. 6 to 8 gallons of grapes will make a nice 5 gal batch. I'm subject to making wine out of most everything. I sent a fruit salad wine over for the wine club to try and they thought it was great.

The local vineyard around here is giving them away, as much as you can carry for free.

And, NO, they don't make good wine, at least to me.

DoctorCAD said:
The local vineyard around here is giving them away, as much as you can carry for free.

And, NO, they don't make good wine, at least to me.

Gotta balance the acid out, and then you should be fine

Im making a batch now that is 2 1/4 gallons. I used 4 gallons of grapes and 3 pounds of sugar for the first 2 weeks. If your interested in the recipe let me know. Uses a natural yeast. These were bronze muscadines. Darlene is the variety. Course ive got 15 vines in my back yard and 2 freezers slap full of them. Going to try some Southlands (purple ones) next. Might not make preferred fancy wine, but for something to grow in your back yard for a country boy it aint too bad.

I like the wine they make but I don't like em straight off the vine. Of course a lot of people don't like persimmon wine but I'd walk through hell in kerosene underwear to get a snort of it. Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back