Cheap Digital Thermometer for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I will be doing 2.5 gallon BIAB batches. I am looking for a cheap digital thermometer I can use to monitor temperature. Any recommendations?

I'm kinda looking for something where I can fish the wire in between the lid and kettle and let the probe hang into the water. I don't want to open the lid very often. Maybe something like this? http://www.walmart.com/ip/TSM-Produ..._src=14110944&sourceid=1500000000000003260370

I understand your desire to want the remote probe type thermometer...but would advise you not to bother and go with a handheld as recomended above FWIW...just my experience in that you will want to stir and check temps at several places in the mash...the handheld sticks work well and I see no big advantage to the probe type.

If you're still looking I'd recommend what they're all recommending above. I had a wireless probe (only $20) and it failed to accurately read anything. I would think I'm mashing at 154, but really the temp was off 9* because of the cheap Taylor probe was reading off. I am going to try the CDN now, hoping to not have to resort to the Thermapen, even though I've seen that thing work it's magic.

I was going to order one but there's a few different models that seem similar. What are the differences in these four, and which one are most of you using? I am thinking of going with option 2.

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Option 4

Of course, I'm always biased towards items that are prime eligible. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back