First All grain Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SocalNat

Reaction score
I know there are 10 threads a day with people doing their first all grain and have all kinds of questions. I don't really have any questions, only comments. I brewed an All American IPA all grain kit from Austin Homebrew Supply just to make it easy on myself.

Let me start by saying this is what making beer is all about. Not that there is anything wrong with extract brewing, on the contrary, extract brewing is fun and the beer is excellent. But I felt more in control and the whole process seemed very natural to me; I didn’t want to stop. So many steps involved and loosing focus for just a moment and things can get out of control FAST, it is important to concentrate, be organized and get into a rhythm.

I don’t know what the final product will turn out to be like. It was supposed to be a 5 gallon batch that turned into 4.5 gals, but oh well. I’m not so worried about efficiency, gravity readings, or a yeast starter; I’ll save all that for next batch. I just wanted to get this first one under my belt; I know it will turn out just fine.

Things that were most helpful to me today:
1. Beersmith
2. Drinking my own homebrew, and
3. Van Morrison

I am a junkie, in 2 weeks I am going to brew a Belgian Saison that will hopefully last til summer.

For what its worth...I bought a three ring binder and I print out my brew sheet from beersmith...I put it on the fridge as i brew then into the book where I add notes about the brew...every detail i can remember...i don't write a book, but i do make notes of highlights...

Congrats on your first AG!

Congrats I'm bout to do my first all grain in about a month when I save up money for a mash tun and mill. I've been using extracts. But I still do gravity reads to see how strong my beer is.

I'm preparing for my first AG as well. Got the banjo burner delivered, ( its a MONSTER) in the process of talking myself out of the 10 gallon boilermaker in favor of a 15 gallon, then just need an empty fermenter and a fairly warm and wind free day. Just put the final touches on my stir plate, so I am anxious to try that out as well. My first AG recipie is going to be a guiness stout clone, using the soured guiness technique.

Back