makin some cider this week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you think about,,,

adding any oxygen?

Only until the 1/3 break if at all.

using any yeast energizer or nutrient?

F YEAH nutrient... Use DAP, either full batch dose at the start, or stepped addition, your choice.

cold crashing to drop yeast before bottling?

I would just give it more time to fully flocculate out... What yeast were you planning on using? OG target? Batch size? Recipe? Give us some details Hoss...

What yeast were you planning on using?
Red star champagne yeast

OG target?
what ever the juice is

Batch size?
5 gallons

Recipe?
5 gallons of uv pasteurized cider
champagne yeast
fermaid K - amount recommendations?
Dap - amount recommendations?
I think I have some crosby baker nutrient and energizer if that would be better.
back sweeten
force carb
bottle

If you're using DAP, you should be able to get away with 2 teaspoons for the 5 gallon batch, if you do it before you pitch the yeast. That should be enough for the entire batch, not requiring any additional nutrients. I would prefer to go by weight, but I've not (yet) located how much weight that would be. I'm sure I'll locate it later, but you should be good with that dosage...

You could be ok without nutrients, depending on the OG. If you have DAP on hand, though, it wouldn't hurt to add/include it at the start.

I think I'm going with staggered nutrient additions.
2 grams (1/2 tsp) DAP and 2 grams fermaid K "brewday". 1 gram (1/4 tsp) DAP .5 gram (1/8 tsp) every other day, three additions.

If you have a good blend of apples in your cider, no nutrient is needed. The apples have plenty. If your cider is single variety you may need to add acid blend or tannins depending on variety of apples.;)

thanks for the reply rockape
after listening to a pod cast featuring 2 rivers cider, I decided to e-mail the "brewer" he was saying he uses dap and fermaid k or super food.

Back