Need Hops Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manku007

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, :mug:

Since I am looking for the substitute of hops, mean to say that hops are not available here always or very little. So I was thinking that if I can get the substitute of hops. Please list everything you can, from flowers to plants and to vegetables and others. So that I can make a good beer.:drunk:
One more thing I don't want to make Dandelion Wine. I am asking about hops substitutes if there are some.
I have read or some one told me (here in this forum) that dandelion or gruit can be used, I know what is dandelion but don't know anything about gruit. Are there any other things that can be used instead of hops and don't change much in flavor or aroma.:D

So please help as much as you (all guys) can.
If you want any other information then please let me know.;)

Thanks In advanced. Bye bye take care . . . . :tank:

held79, that website you linked to is pretty cool. I'd like to brew something without hops one of these days, just to have something different on hand. manku007, what's it like brewing in india?? I imagine there are quite a few challenges. What got you interested in brewing? Good luck!

Thanks bosunbrew :tank: for your help too (he doesn't helped :drunk:) Yes there are many challenges I have here in India. People make alcohol but in different way that is we have some local fruits, who already has natural yeast so they put the fruits and water in one big mud or soil pot and then buried it in the soil for for weeks or may be months, I haven't seen this kind of brewing with my naked eyes. But I have listened it from many people and yes they do. This is a strong alcohol with very bad smell. A person who is 5 feet away from you can smell our local alcohol. They are made in many ways with many fruits. It is known as DESI SHARAB in our local language.

Since there is none in my city who brew wine or beer like this we have in this forum or if there are some then I don't know them. Since I don't have any tools or that kits, that's why it is little harder and quite challenging here. I have to make all the things out of my other things. We don't have fermenting box, or siphon system, kits, malt extract. I think I can only buy a hydrometer here but at a high rate.

thanks toga:tank: for the help, I appreciate for that but I found something on wikipedia it is Mugwort contains thujone, which is toxic in large amounts or under prolonged intake. Thujone is also present in Thuja plicata (western red cedar), from which the name is derived. Pregnant women, in particular, should avoid consuming large amounts of mugwort. The species has a number of recorded historic uses in food, herbal medicine, and as a smoking herb.

thanks to you too Andrea:tank: i will search for it on internet an then in my city if i can buy that for experimentation.

held79:tank: don't feel jealous I already thanked you before.

Will gave the updates on the things that I found them or not, You guys please answer and keep this thread alive.:mug:

why can't you have the hops shipped there or to a city nearby? hops, or humulus lumulus, is a very very complex species of a flower, it has rare essential oils such as humulene in it similar to how cannabis does that are very hard to find or replicate in nature. the complex resins are what gives it all of its characteristics, such as preservation, piney/floral/earthy/citrusy/whatever aroma/ bittering capabilities, etc. In other words, it is going to be very hard to find something to replace such a unique flower. the plant contains chemicals not found anywhere else on the planet. i'll send you some for free if you have a way of recieving them...

in the plant kingdom, they are in the family cannabaceae...there is a tree called a celtis, or hackberry tree. they produce drupes that may be usable. it is the only other plant in the same family as hops and cannabis. i would research using the fruit of the hackberry tree, it has many of the same chemicals that hops and cannabis do. otherwise, you are searching in a whole different world of flowers if you look outside the family. if you can find it, go buy some cannabis and try it as a substitue. it has the same anti-microbial qualities that hops do and if you can find high quality cannibis it will have the piney/resinous/fruity qualities to it as well. not to mention, dry hop it once it is fermented and magical things will happen to you when you drink your beer....:rockin: ....Both hops and cannabis contain antimicrobial substances. This is why hops extract is used in natural deodorants. Cannabinoids in cannabis are effective at killing MRSA drug-resistant bacteria.

thanks hector for that help, i will try to find that too.

thanks thebamaking that is a nice information, surely it will help me now or later. Very nicely told and in easy way.

Thanks everyone. I am making notes so that I have them with me.

Thebamaking... I was going to say the same thing about Cannabis, but was unsure about the legality or availability in India. Some places have pretty stiff penalties (worse than Alabama!)

Back