kegging tast different than bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catamount

Reaction score
i thoroughly clean my kegs/lines before and after putting a new batch in them, and yet still, all batches from my kegs have a distinct taste to them, that is different from the same batches that i have put in bottles. its a wierd subtle flavor, and i cant even compare it to anything. anyone else experience something like this?

Are you comparing beer of the same age, well after carbing? I think the subtle difference could be two different things. The first is the beer tubing itself. Much of it has been known to impart a stale off flavor especially to the first couple ounces. The next is carbonic acid that lingers for a while after force carbing. My beers will always taste off for the first two weeks on the gas and that's even on beers that have been properly aged in secondary.

yes beers of the same age. and yes i am force carbing. i guess the flavor is somewhat bitter, but not a hoppy kind of bitter...more of a stale type of bitter i guess

i use one step sanitizer after a basic household soap and sponge on the kegs, and for the lines, i run the one step through with warm water.

Back