keeping tubes clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg2536

Reaction score
OK, here is something that probably should be obvious but I can't seem to do it. How do you keep your tubes clean between brewings? The vinyl tubes I use to transfer from primary to 2ndary I rinse well after but there is always some water left in them and I noticed some mold in them this time. Needless to say I had to replace them. So how do I prevent this in the future? :drunk:

I also whip mine around by holding in the middle kinda like a one handed jump rope action. It makes the water mostly fly out so there's not so much that has to drip out or evaporate.

I had the same problem with my tubes, but I always rinse them in star san before putting them away, so I never got any mold. Then I started immediately hanging them up so the tubes hang straight down, and they're dry 1/2 hour. Of course, I live in Montana where the humidity is around 26%.

You could always store them in a bucket of StarSan. No mold gonna grow in there.

I pour a little vodka in mine, and move it back and forth until all of the inside of the tube is covered and sanitized. Then hang it up to drain.

Bobby_M said:
I also whip mine around by holding in the middle kinda like a one handed jump rope action. It makes the water mostly fly out so there's not so much that has to drip out or evaporate.

Nice to see someone else uses the "Indiana Jones" method of hose drying!!!

:cross:

In addition to all that great advice, if you have a keg laying around charged up to 30psi, well, that's enough to blow dry a tube. Three of them actually.

Poindexter said:
In addition to all that great advice, if you have a keg laying around charged up to 30psi, well, that's enough to blow dry a tube. Three of them actually.

On that note, if you have an air compressor, it works really well to dry out tubing.

Back