Dogfish Head's Palo Santo Marron Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As your run-of-the-mill 12% ABV "brown ales" go, this one was the first letdown I've had from Sam & the Dogfish Head elite. Psychotically syrup-ey, very little head buildup. Aroma & flavor reeks of a hefty alcohol, bit of wood & what I could only classify as fermented apricot & burnt hazelnut characters. Completely unexpected (kudos for that), but definitely on my do-not-buy again list. Way too hefty, thick & medicinal for my taste.

Yes I know this isn't BA...

Did you have this out of a keg or bottle?

I live just down the road from one of the DFH Alehouses, and they typically have this on tap... I've had it there and enjoyed it, however I also bought a sixer of it and had some similar thoughts to yours.

I was at the DFH brewery in Milton, DE about a month ago for a tour, and the barrel that they age this stuff in is pretty incredible, and the wood does have a very unique scent.

Old thread but I thought It was pretty good. I'd like to know their malt bill to try and recreate it. Of course I'd skip the wood aging part but I thought the flavors were fairly complex.

I'm curious how long that huge custom built barrel that they use for this beer will continue to actually add any character to this beer? Most oak-barrels are only good for a few uses before they become neutral... I realize this is not an oak barrel but I would assume that it will eventually become neutral as well? Any thoughts?

I'm curious how long that huge custom built barrel that they use for this beer will continue to actually add any character to this beer? Most oak-barrels are only good for a few uses before they become neutral... I realize this is not an oak barrel but I would assume that it will eventually become neutral as well? Any thoughts?

From what I heard they blast the insides of the tank with something erosive to expose new wood to the beer.

johnpalotanks_web.jpg

the first time i ever tried a bottle of PSM shortly after it's first release, it completely blew me away. I talked it up to all my beer buddies and several tried it when they found some. some loved it and some were very underwhelmed. tried another bottle a while back and still liked it but it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as the first few I had. Aging, temp, differences from batch to batch, but lots of different experiences and opinions on this one

I really enjoy this beer; the bottles I pour have always had a nice head on them. I def get the aromatic alcohols but dig this brew. The WWS and 120min were much more syrupy IMO.

Latest posts

Back