Krausen Explosion sorta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j3r3my

Reaction score
This is my third batch, and first stout, I pitched yeast yesterday at about 4, it started bubbling around 9:30 and this morning my keezer (now fermenter chamber) was covered in krausen. I cleaned 90% of the mess before rigging an overflow, but as my first MacGyver over flow, I want to make sure I am doing it correctly.

I had some keg beer line and it fit in the grommet, which I ran to a cup full of sanitized water (I will buy vodka later today) and placed the discharge just below the water line to keep air from back flowing.

Attached is a pic.

IMG-20111030-00059-1.jpg

Looks fine. You probably won't need the vodka in the overflow cup but it won't hurt, either. I use plain water in my bubble locks.

IMHO, even rot-gut vodka is too expensive to use in airlocks. Just fill up a spray bottle with star san solution every brew day and you can use a few squirts from that to top up airlocks. For a blow-off setup, you'd probably need to keep a bucket or at least a jug of it around.

I use the empty 1/2 gallon vodka jugs for blow offs,storing PBW & star-san,When using a funnel & coffee filters to filter the funk outta said solutions. The 1/2 gallons last a long time,unless we're doin shooters with low ABV beers on weekends. At our age,it's more like rumatiz medicine anyway.

Was going to use a gallon spring water bottle, not a gallon of vodka :)

on a side note, it calmed down a bit, not spitting anymore, just bubbeling away.

I love making beer.

Wait, I was talking about filling airlocks or blowoff containers with vodka.

Obviously, if you have empty vodka containers around, then go ahead and use them.

I was just saying that putting actual vodka in, even the cheap crap, is way more expensive than just using star san. Wasn't trying to say that there's anything wrong with using an empty vodka jug.

I got your meaning,no worries. I just meant that I also re-use the empty jugs for other brew related things as well. I like the fact that nasties will die of alcohol poisoning trying to get to my beer.:cross:

Back