Hops - Moving House

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballzac

Reaction score
So, I have my very first hop bine. The rhizome sprouted shoots a few weeks ago. At the time, I knew we were going to be moving house, so I put a conical trellis in a pot with the rhizome, giving the bine what I thought was ample height to climb prior to moving.

About a week later, it had reached the top of this trellis (a couple of feet high), so I put bamboo stakes in the pot too. A few weeks later, the bine is a couple of feet higher than the top of the stakes. One of the bines has dropped under its own weight and has a fold in it near the top.

We are now only about a week away from moving, and I have no idea how to deal with this. I can't train it onto anything permanent, and if I put a higher structure on it, it might not fit on the truck.

I'm not sure if these bines can be unwound, or how it would cope being in a pile anyway. I don't know much about these bines, but it looks like if the tip of a shoot dies, the whole shoot is gone. Another alternative is to just cut the bines off entirely, and then let it grow back at the new place, but that will set back its growth for the year I'm assuming.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do, please let me know. Thanks :)

Cut it back to about 2 or 3 feet of bine. yeah it will stunt it a bit but it should be fine by the end of the season. Make certain that the 2 or 3 feet that are left have plenty of leaves and or sidearm growth. You should be fine.

Cheers

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I might try leaving most of it on there, but if it gets damaged in transit or anything, I can trim off any broken bits.

Back