Pitching Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cygnus128

Reaction score
I am curious about min/max pitching temps for typical ale yeast. Most things I have read suggest pitching at temps between 70 and 75 (Fahrenheit) however I have not read anything that provides a good explanation of why these temps are desireable/what the effects would be of pitching at higher/lower temps. Any idea?

welcome aboard!

if you pitch yeast on the higher end of the fermentation temp for ale yeast, it will lend more fruity, estery flavors, as opposed to the lower temps. maybe even a stronger alcohol after-taste. fermenting on the lower end will provide a little cleaner, better flavor, and probably help the yeast have a better, active ferment (which is what we all want). depending on the brand of yeast you use (liquide White Labs or Wyeast), they will have a temp range on the vial or pack. or, you can check the web pages of each (www.whitelabs.com, don't know Wyeast's). White Labs has a FAQ's page that you can get some good info off of too.
if your not using liquide yeast, i recommend a good quiality liquide yeast (and a starter if possible, but not required) like White Labs or Wyeast. that is one of the biggest improvements you can make on your homebrew.
hope this helps.

cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Back