Beer From Only One Brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ajwillys said:
I've actually had all those listed except for Shelter Pale. WWS and 120 are illegal in NC, but I have some sources ;)

My favorite DFH is probably My Antonia. I also really like the India Brown. 60 and 90 are only ok.

I agree though that proximity probably plays a factor.

You are closer than I am as I just moved to Michigan from Pennsylvania. Is there an ABV cap for beer in NC? If there is that seems ridiculous. I love WWS and 120min but can't afford to drink them all that often. I think I will be drinking alot more Bells now that I am in Mi. They are an excellent brewery and I agree they are well rounded. Got a buddy who just moved to NC he will be bummed when he learns WWS is illegal in NC.

Bell's, but Surly is a close second.

There's no way I can give up two hearted or hopslam. If only Bell's did a big seasonal Russian Imperial Stout.

Rahr. Gotta go with the local guys - they've got enough variety to keep me sane if its all I can have.

Probably New Holland, just because it's a mile and half from my house and I can ride my bike.
Second = Bell's
West Michigan is great!!
Founders, Bell's, New Holland all within 45 minutes of each other.

Founders hands down.

If I had to go to a second choice it would be a toss up between these three:

Sierra Nevada
Firestone Walker
Rogue

Victory!

I am actually surprised at how easy this was for me to answer. I wound up thinking about it as a result... and still circled back to Victory.

P.S. Troegs came in 2nd place.

You are closer than I am as I just moved to Michigan from Pennsylvania. Is there an ABV cap for beer in NC? If there is that seems ridiculous. I love WWS and 120min but can't afford to drink them all that often. I think I will be drinking alot more Bells now that I am in Mi. They are an excellent brewery and I agree they are well rounded. Got a buddy who just moved to NC he will be bummed when he learns WWS is illegal in NC.

Yeah, 15%. It does suck. Oddly enough, I've seen on two different occasions beers above the cap on the shelves. I suppose they've slipped through the cracks. I wouldn't be surprised if Sierra Nevada is able to get that changed once they come to Asheville. They've already changed two alcohol laws just for them to consider coming. This law is worthless anyway. Supposed to prevent "new drinkers" from accidentally killing themselves by drinking 6-10 of them. Like anyone could afford 10 WWS's.

Your buddy won't be too bummed, we have an AWESOME beer culture here and growing everyday. I live way out in the 'burbs and am sitting within 5 minutes of two breweries. They are popping up everyday.

It depends entirely on the style.
If I could have only one...

Porter, I'd pick DuClaw for Retribution
Stout, I'd pick Southern Tier for Creme Brulee
Pale Ale, I'd pick DC Brau for Public
IPA, I'd pick Mikkeller for Single Hop Nelson Sauvin
Barleywine, I'd pick J.W. Lee's since they actually still make it, as opposed to Thomas Hardy.
Pumpkin, I'd pick Avery for Rumpkin

American Lager... well... I'd just drink water.

I don't think there is any one brewery that does *every* style correctly, every time.

Though if you made me pick one and only one, I'd pick DC Brau.

ajwillys said:
Yeah, 15%. It does suck. Oddly enough, I've seen on two different occasions beers above the cap on the shelves. I suppose they've slipped through the cracks. I wouldn't be surprised if Sierra Nevada is able to get that changed once they come to Asheville. They've already changed two alcohol laws just for them to consider coming. This law is worthless anyway. Supposed to prevent "new drinkers" from accidentally killing themselves by drinking 6-10 of them. Like anyone could afford 10 WWS's.

Your buddy won't be too bummed, we have an AWESOME beer culture here and growing everyday. I live way out in the 'burbs and am sitting within 5 minutes of two breweries. They are popping up everyday.

Nice. Most those laws are about the state controlling the supply so they can control prices and taxing. I lived in PA for two years and that is what all their laws were about but since it is outright making it illegal and not some other form of control it may be about the idea thqt someone can drink themselves to death. I will tell you what, not only can I not afford ten WWS but if I tried to drink them I think I would throw up long before becaue of how rich they are. It'd be hard to drink that much, I think. Oh well ur silly states have wierd laws. Michigan seems to have small breweries everywhere too.

Bell's, easily. I have several reasons why:

1. Two Hearted Ale
2. Oarsman
3. Kalamazoo Stout
4. Oberon
5. Cherry Stout
6. Winter White
7. Best Brown
8. Wild One
9. Expedition Stout
10. HOPSLAM
11. Hell Hath No Fury
12. Sparkling Ale
13. Third Coast Old Ale
14. Porter
15. The Oracle
16. Consecrator Doppelbock
17. Third Coast Lager

So many awesome beers exhibiting such a range of flavors, and most of them are pretty easily available.

Surpised no more votes for Brooklyn. Great range of beers

Lager
Brown
IPA
Pilsner
Pennant Ale (English Brown)
Blast (Big IPA)
Weisse
Radius (Belgian Session)
Chocolate Stout
Winter Ale
Monster Ale
Dry Irish Stout
Summer Ale
Octoberfest
Pumpkin Ale
Local 1 (Belgian Strong Golden)
Local 2 (Belgian Dark Strong)
Sorachi Ace (saison)
Brooklyner Schneider Hopfen Weisse

in additon Garrett Oliver releases a new beer every 4 months or so.

God it's tough to choose between DFH and Founders.

On one hand, DFH has Sah'tea...but Founders has KBS.....

I am glad I don't really have to make these decisions in life.

This is an evil game! However, I guess I would have to choose Boulevard. They make a wide variety of different styles and the beer is very good.....except their wheat beer.

New Belgium....mainly because of their Lips of Faith Series (La Folie 2012). Stone....b/c of pretty much everything. And Avery....also because everything they offer rocks. It's a 3-way tie for me.

Latest posts

Back