Just scored a nice fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
14 year old upright 17 cubic foot freezer for $36.. In 'like new' condition...

So now I need a controller for it.. Want a built in digital 'Love' style... Want the cheapest possible that will do the job... Just want to control the cooling side for now.. I can add more controllers later for heating blankets (unless it's the same price or a 'little' more to get one with that control capability now)...

On the Love site, there are a bunch of models... Don't know which one to get..

So I need some suggestions... The temp range will be so that I can use it for everything from chilling/conditioning kegs, to fermenting lagers, to fermenting ales... heck, even as a freezer if needed would be nice...

Just need it to control the existing freezer compressor for now...

Thanks!

also, can I use the existing freezer temperature probe, or do I have to buy a new one? If I have to buy a new one, what do I look for?

I think the TS is what most people order for cooling. The TSS2 does both cooling and heating for only a few dollars more. You will need a new probe. The TS comes with a probe. If you go with the TSS2 you will need to order a probe ($6 I think)

image-2661712859.jpg

i used the ebay one, i have one of my keezer and one on my fermentation freezer. They are cheap, work well, and are 2 stage so 1 unit for both heating and cooling. If you go that route just make sure you are getting a 110v one and not a 220v as both are available.

i used the ebay one, i have one of my keezer and one on my fermentation freezer. They are cheap, work well, and are 2 stage so 1 unit for both heating and cooling. If you go that route just make sure you are getting a 110v one and not a 220v as both are available.

Do you have a link to the one you are talking about?

don't discount modifying the on-board controller to change the temp. there is a complete thread on it. might be worth a shot if you want to try saving the money.
not sure how to link to the thread but i am sure you can find it easy enough.

Good score by the way!

don't discount modifying the on-board controller to change the temp. there is a complete thread on it. might be worth a shot if you want to try saving the money.
not sure how to link to the thread but i am sure you can find it easy enough.

Good score by the way!

That would be a great short term answer.. Now I just need to know the name of the thread....:mug:

here ya go. $25 bucks, wires up just like a love, i have 2 of these and they work great. The only downside is they are celsius only, but i just printed up a little conversion chart.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digita...738?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5a19c2d2

Yep, I have the same for my fermentation chamber. It works great.
Temp Controller + parts = $30.00
Craigslist chest freezer = $20.00

Total cost $50.00. Dollar for dollar... best $$ for my buck in all of my HB equipment.:mug:

here ya go. $25 bucks, wires up just like a love, i have 2 of these and they work great. The only downside is they are celsius only, but i just printed up a little conversion chart.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digita...738?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5a19c2d2

NICE!!! Is that a temp probe that comes with it? How is it used, just mount it anywhere in the freezer, or must it be submersed in liquid?

10A is a little low, but it should be enough, especially considering I'm operating the thing at way above it's intended temp range...

yea, it comes with a temp probe. There are many things you can do to get a temp reading. I cut up a beer cooly and sandwitch the probe between it and my fermentor. i just use tape to keep the cooly on the fermentor.
It keeps my temps spot on...

Cool! Just ordered one...
Thanks, I needed to save some money right now!

I think a glass of water with the probe in it will be good... Later I'll get two more sensors to control a heat blanket for each carboy, then set the freezer temp a degree or so lower than the temps I set the heaters to... That should allow both carboys to stay right on the money.. even if I want them a few degrees different from each other...

Thanks again!

in my keezer i built it into my collar, for my fermentation chamber i built it into a project box from radio shack, there is a huge thread about them here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/ more info than you could ever ask for.

LOL.. You know what, I had seen that thread many times, but didn't really know what it was about.. Thought it was about some automated brew rig or something...

So cool.. Now I have what I need to do the job, and a hundred pages of discussion to cover every possible aspect of it's use... For 25 bucks!

Don't get better than that!
:mug:

no need for the heat blankets imo, some of us use a small ceramic heater some use a blowdryer mounted inside. Set your temp for say 68 for ales with a 1 deg differential. It will turn on the heat or cooling as needed to maintain.

r8rphan, you mentioned putting the temp probe in water to get a reading. This is probably not a good idea as these probes are sometimes not waterproof. I have not seen this issue first hand, but I have read that many other brewers have had this problem on other aquarium temp controller threads. The best thing to do would be to attach it to the carboy itself or some other item in the fridge that has a large thermal mass. Good luck with the project, sounds like it is going to work out well for you!

r8rphan, you mentioned putting the temp probe in water to get a reading. This is probably not a good idea as these probes are sometimes not waterproof. I have not seen this issue first hand, but I have read that many other brewers have had this problem on other aquarium temp controller threads. The best thing to do would be to attach it to the carboy itself or some other item in the fridge that has a large thermal mass. Good luck with the project, sounds like it is going to work out well for you!

It's an 'aquarium' temp controller and the probe is not waterproof?
LOL.. Advice taken...

Don't really want to use the carboy as there will be two of them in there, and not necessarily at the same temp.. However, I could always fasten the thing to the outside of a bottle of beer...

Okay, just got the thing operational last night...

Very nice thus far.. Set it to 19 degrees centigrade and attached the probe to a jar of water and then let it sit over night.. it's holding the internal temp very close to the target 19 degrees..

Made a silly little control 'panel' from oak with a carved 3D eagle wrapped in an American flag... Calling it the 'Ferminator 3000' by PhanMeister.. LOL

So, without further adoo, (drumroll please) introducing the Ferminator 3000!

fermentationchamber001.jpg

fermentationchamber003.jpg

Next to do something about a blowoff system with the carboys in there, and then to get a couple cheap heating pads from amazon.. saw some low wattage ones for like 8 bucks each.. and then make a thermowell...

So, I'm using this for the first time.. Man, what a joy it is to have.. Temps have been kept right on the money, right from the get go....

Shoulda done this a long time ago...

I can probably get away with one or two more batches before I need to think about getting a heater.. Was considering a gun safe heater... They're not very high wattage and would mount easily... Can be had for under 20 bucks...

fermentationchamber005.jpg

fermentationchamber004.jpg

Back