Stuff Shoved In Beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
At the table.

When I was a kid, I saw the old f-ucks put salt in, and /or tomato juice, and/or Tobasco.

Later, when I began a life of frequenting watering holes, I saw that lime was 'cool' to add to your beer.

Later, (much) I found that people liked (or thought they should) put lemon in Widmer's Heffeweiser. And then there's Blue Moon....

What sorta chit do you add to a beer? Not that it's a bad thing...

Me, nutttin' but more beer...:D

For work, I usually spend about one week each month traveling in Mexico. They have a beer cocktail called a "Michelada." Although the recipe varies, it is usually a mix of beer, lime juice and Worcestershire sauce poured over ice. Sometimes there is a little tomato juice, sometimes a little Maggi or soy sauce, etc.. It is quite refreshing on a hot afternoon.

olllllo said:
In a Randall!!!

Im dying to try one of those.

Ive made plenty of red beers (V8 and beer) on those hair of the dog mornings. Mexican beer is great with a pinch of salt and lime. Im not a fan of any fruit in my Hefes though. I love that yeast profile too much

Yeah, I don't add anything to my poured beer unless said poured beer is, um, not that good in the first place. See: mexican cerveza. Putting a lemon in your hefe is like putting ketchup on a creme brulee. Ugh. Unless, of course, it's a rather tasteless or offensive hefe/wit, such as blue moon or widmer. hehe.

Mmmmmm Red Beer. I've never done it with my homebrew as I would consider it sacreligous!! Love red beer by the camp fire. Things i've added....tomato juice and salt, v8 juice, Clamato Juice(probably is better then tomato)....hillbilly martini....beer with olives(big fat ones with garlic cloves shoved in 'em.

good way to add flavor to bmc. :rockin:

loop

Around here Red beer is just tomato juice & BMC. Guess they can't handle a V8.

[And no, I've never had one]

Skip & Go Naked

12 oz. lager
1 oz. Gin
1 oz. lemon juice or sweet & sour mix
1 TBS Grenadine

Also called, Sip & Go Blind

I was at a BBQ the other weekend and my host asked if I wanted a wedge of lime in my beer. I told her that I would love some lime on my BBQ chicken but fruit has no place in my beer.:tank:

Around Baltimore, the Greandine in a Corona is fairly common.

I tried it once, it was too sweet, will never do again. It was just the novelty of drinking a red Corona.

arturo7 said:
For work, I usually spend about one week each month traveling in Mexico. They have a beer cocktail called a "Michelada." Although the recipe varies, it is usually a mix of beer, lime juice and Worcestershire sauce poured over ice. Sometimes there is a little tomato juice, sometimes a little Maggi or soy sauce, etc.. It is quite refreshing on a hot afternoon.

a bunch of places here serve them and they are delicious.

brewt00l said:
I was at a BBQ the other weekend and my host asked if I wanted a wedge of lime in my beer. I told her that I would love some lime on my BBQ chicken but fruit has no place in my beer.:tank:

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of beer was it?

Evan! said:
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of beer was it?

They were serving Miller Lite, Pacifico & my English Bitter. I was drinking miller lite (the EB was for the hosts in return for the invite) and the chicken was fantastic.

Love the Micheladas! What I'm wondoering, what kind of job do you have, arturo, that allows you one week a month in Mexico, and where do I sign up? Here in Southern Oregon, when we really want to get effed-up: equal parts Pabst Blue Ribbon (Talk about not letting go of the one award you ever won for your beer in like 1874!), Vodka, And Limeade. I forget what it's called, but it actually tastes pretty good. More of a mixed drink really...

Nothing gets added to the homebrew, but ANY cheapo lager benefits from citris(lime) if you are aver relegated to drinking such sluece.

brewt00l said:
Can't say that I find it all that great..... Course if you like it, rock on!

from hundreds and hundreds of hours spent in Mexico on the beach or in a bar, you learn to like it that way very quickly. Oh, and a pinch of salt too....cant forget the salt

About the only thing I'll put in beer is a slice of orange in a wit. If it's a particularly good wit there's no need.

The Man-Laws state that there shall be no fruit in thine beer. I've never understood where the orange slice in the wit or hefe comes from - I always tell the waitress / bartender no fruit in my beer please!

Fruit goes in the carboy where it can make more delicious alcohol.

After its been bottled, what's the point?

I loved Burt Reynolds' line, "Why don't we put an umbrella in it and call it a 'beeracolada'?"

Wow, I can't believe that no one has mentioned jamesons and baileys. (In a guiness)

Car bombs?!?!

makes for a fun night....

I've been lurking for a while, but I thought I'd jump in.

A drink that some of my buddies who are on the Sailing Team are fond of is called Pink Panties...Cuz that's what you'll likely end up wearing after a night of these!

In a 5 gallon cooler, mix:
2 cases cheap beer
1 handle of vodka
a few cans of concentrated Pink lemonade

top with ice, and mix well.

Just remember to take it slow...That stuff will hit you hard!

RadicalEd said:
I've been lurking for a while, but I thought I'd jump in.

A drink that some of my buddies who are on the Sailing Team are fond of is called Pink Panties...Cuz that's what you'll likely end up wearing after a night of these!

In a 5 gallon cooler, mix:
2 cases cheap beer
1 handle of vodka
a few cans of concentrated Pink lemonade

top with ice, and mix well.

Just remember to take it slow...That stuff will hit you hard!

I think I got hangover from just looking at that recipe!

I don't mind a slice of citrus served on the side with a hefe or wit (JUST NOT IN/ON THE GLASS, PLEASE!). I always try the beer first, and if it's a good beer, the fruit remains outside the glass. If I think the fruit might add some character to an otherwise bland brew, I toss it in.

Another recipe: Turbo Corona
1 kamikaze shot (equal parts vodka, triple sec, and lime juice)
1 Corona, sipped down to the bottom of the neck

Pour the shot right into the beer and enjoy. Tastes quite like a Corona with lime...but it sneaks up on you.

Evan! said:
...Putting a lemon in your hefe is like putting ketchup on a creme brulee. Ugh. Unless, of course, it's a rather tasteless or offensive hefe/wit, such as blue moon or widmer. hehe.
I guess you're not one of the 2,343 hits (since March 17th) on my Blue Balls Belgian Wit....;)

(Number one viewed recipe on the forum...but who's counting?)

Orange in a wit makes sense since it has orange peel in it anyway... but lemon in a hefe I will never figure out. It ruins the taste and the head.

"Orange in a wit makes sense since it has orange peel in it anyway... but lemon in a hefe I will never figure out. It ruins the taste and the head."

Finally the voice of reason. I was going to stay out of this (something about feeding the trolls), but after a hand full of home brews and king crab legs for dinner, this thread came to mind. As I dipped the crab in butter my thought was that some flavors just complement each other. Screw the man code! If it taste good, just enjoy.

I got talked into trying a lime with my Fat Tire last night. I must say that the lime flavor went really well with that beer

jezter6 said:
Around Baltimore, the Greandine in a Corona is fairly common.

I tried it once, it was too sweet, will never do again. It was just the novelty of drinking a red Corona.

Here that's called a Coronadine.

It's usually drank by women that want to think they are trendy (nothing says trendy like ordering something no one knows about). They want to be unique like everyone else. heh

When i was in vegas this Brit guy was drinking Guinness with a shot of currant liquer. A full shot was way too sweet. I could see drinking it with a splash for an interesting taste but it was too much for me.

drouillp said:
Guinness with a shot of currant liquer.

There was a couple of woman (loose term here!) that used to drink Guinness and blackcurrant, just the cordial stuff. Looked bad.

I have to remember to tell the server no lemon, orange or whatever fruit is served with a hefe of wit. Occasionally I forget and then end up with lemon flavored beer. If it was just a hint of lemon, it would probably be okay, but the full squeeze is just too much.

Now Corona with lime and salt, that's a different story.

Oh, and we can't forget:
the boilermaker = slam a shot and chase it with a beer
the side car = a shot poured in a beer
the depth charger = a shot & shot glass dropped into a beer. Guzzle the beer.

The usual shots: Whisky, rum, tequila, or vodka.

I haven't drunk any since high school. These days I prefer my liquor segregated from my beer.

dibby33 said:
There was a couple of woman (loose term here!) that used to drink Guinness and blackcurrant, just the cordial stuff. Looked bad.

It isn't that bad, really. You can't have more than one as it gets cloying, but not bad for a first drink. That's the one beer addition I had forgotten about, I haven't had a Guinness and black in years.

BierMuncher said:
I guess you're not one of the 2,343 hits (since March 17th) on my Blue Balls Belgian Wit....;)

(Number one viewed recipe on the forum...but who's counting?)
I brewed a version of your recipe and recently had a chance to sample a Blue Moon on tap at a local restaurant. I found Blue Moon to be much milder in flavor than my home brewed version. The flavors were similar but much more restrained. Almost as if it had been watered down. I think I really prefer my own version and my wife seems to like both.

Craig

True - Kiwis have been known to add lime cordial to beer (and if you've tasted some beers from the land of the long white cloud you can understand why). I've known Poms to add raspberry cordial. Guess the sweet syrup offsets the bitterness. Some people are strange.

Latest posts

Back