So how many corny kegs exactly is too many?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pavs

Reaction score
So I'm lucky enough to have a connection to get corny kegs. They come though pretty beat up but a little tlc and some new gaskets and they are just fine for my homebrew! The thing is, I think I may be going overboardwith them. I have 10, not all full of course. So I was wondering how many do you guys have?

If you think you have too many I know of a good home that you can send some to... :ban:

Too many is all relative... Can you reasonably expect to have them all full within 6 months? Or at least be using them within 6 months? Do you have enough room to store them? Is you home starting to look like you're hoarding brewing equipment?

Right now, I have just one corny keg, but I also have 4 1/6 barrel Sanke kegs. All of mine are used for aging and fermenting, since I don't have a keezer or CO2 setup yet...

I have 8.. thinking about getting 4 more, although all 8 of mine are currently empty so I'm not sure what my logic is going to be for that purchase.

I doubt that in the next 6 months they would all be used. The most that I've had filled at once was 7. 3 on tap and 4 ageing. I am running out of space but my wife is not complaining. I have a hard time letting go of things.

Thats my logic also. The sad thing is that if the guy comes back with more, I'd probably buy those too!

You had to bring this up! I've been looking for the deals of old. I can remember the $25 dollar days with a set of new rings. But sadly, I'm still looking! I have 4 but I need 8. Anyone want to sell me 4 for a 100 bones? These things are drying up!

10 so far. havent ever had more than 6 full at once. but I also just started doing 10 gallon batches at the first of the year. I need at least 2 empties at all times to use as transfer vessels when I run it thru my filter. goal is to have enough beer stored so i dont have to brew much during the heat of the summer.all based on how fast I drink. finding it hard to keep enough of Ed Worts amber ale in stock

I have 14 pin lock and 1 ball lock, although I owe two pin locks to a friend after he gets his house remodeled. The ball lock was one that I found after a flood in 1985, and the pin locks came from the local bottler, the only cost was the time it took me to make some phone calls to ask if they had any. I have set up two as fermenters, two for storing sanitizer, and two for serving so far. I'll probably start using one for lagering and two for conditioning this summer. I also plan on making mead and soda, so I need the extras.

we have 15 and we decided we need about 10 more.

12 of them are full right now with 4 beers ready to go in to keg in about 1-2 weeks. Problem obviously, is that we only have 3 kegs :mad:

I got 5 with my original Craigslist score, but one was too beat up so I'm down to 4, with a keezer that can only hold 4. Since I don't have a fermenting chamber that can hold multiple carboys it is a stretch to keep all 4 full at once. Therefore, in my situation, 5+ would be "too many."

It is all relative. If you have "too many" then just brew more!

i just recently accuired 8 But think that I may need another 8 with 10 gal batchs bi-monthly! I also think I read somewhere that maximum legal brewing for a one person household is 15gal per month good thing im married!

i have 9, and i find that to be exactly what i need. i drink from them, and some neighbors do too, and it gives me the excuse to brew in the right timespans to get away from it all :D

With the way availability is going, I'd say you don't have too many until storing them becomes an issue. Even if you only routinely use 5, you still have 5 for the future in case something ever happens. AKA, I have a pinhole leak in the side of one of mine.

I had 10, at one point all were full and I had to bottle a batch. Now I have 19, I hope to have most in use by end of summer, although a few will be temporarily used as fermentors.

Between my brother and I, ~50:eek:

Bought from a seller who wanted to quickly liquidate most of his inventory. Between us, a homebrew club, and a store, we pretty much cleaned him out.

Hugh_Jass said:
Between my brother and I, ~50:eek:

Bought from a seller who wanted to quickly liquidate most of his inventory. Between us, a homebrew club, and a store, we pretty much cleaned him out.

Envious

I've got 17 now (13 five gallon and 4 three gallon) and I would STILL like to have a few more.

Between the full kegs aging, the less than full kegs in the kegerator, and the kegs with just a LITTLE more in them, I have to look for kegs to fill.

Now that I mostly do 10 gallon batches, they fill up FAST.

:rockin:

I think I heard on a podcast that Jamil had 60 in his cooler. But I think I also heard he was down some since the cooler broke down. But that was how many batches he had...

I have 17. Most ever filled at once was 7. That will change shortly when I start brewing 10 gallon batches. I figured its better to store them now, then try to buy them back in a few years when prices are $50+ a piece!

STUPID question, but just bought 2 corny kegs, came full of co2 to show they hold pressure...what is best way to purge them? Just hold open the blower?

Thanks, all...

-the noob.

Back