Quick question about measuring OG of first runnings/preboil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to brew my first AG batch this weekend. I know I should be checking the preboil OG. How do I do this if it's 152 degrees? The hydrometer is calibrated for 68.

Thanks, and forgive the noobness.

You just need to cool it down ! usually I put my cylinder full of wort in a tub of cold water.

Or get yourself a refractometer with automatic temp control. You are just using a couple drops of wort drawn in a pipette and that takes seconds to cool. You can take as many readings as you need to.

Best 30 bucks I've ever spent. It is so much easier to do all grain with it for measuring pre boil, I find myself taking tons of readings to monitor stuff as it goes along.

I put a small pot in the freezer, then when it's time to measure I take 4oz of wort, swirl it around for a couple minutes, and it's close enough to 70* that I feel I can judge it correctly.

Also, I've heard of people keeping some ice-cold water nearby, and pouring 2oz of wort and 2oz of ice water into your hydrometer flask, take a reading, and then double the result. I don't trust myself to measure this accurately enough, so I use the above method.

Measure the temperature first, take a hydrometer reading, measure the temperature again. Perform an OG temperature adjustment using the average of the before and after temperatures.

I put the hot wort in a measuring cup and then place the cup in an ice bath. It takes 10 min or so to get the temp down so you can take a reading.

The refractometer with ATC is the most convenient way.

Latest posts

Back