First time partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonesmalone

Reaction score
This is my first partial mash I am planning on making 5 gallons but i only have a 4 gallon pot so I will have to do a partial boil. Im just wondering how much water to boil, how much to sparge with, and how much to add to the carboy to fill it.

I bet if you post a recipe, someone here would be nice enough to figure it out for ya.

As far as how much to add to the carboy, that I can answer. Add enough to make 5 gallons total.

4 lbs. American 2-row
1 lbs. Crystal Malt 10°L
0.5 lbs. Belgian Cara-Pils
.3 lbs. American Victory
3 lbs. Liquid Amber Extract
.7 oz. Centennial (Pellets, 10.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.40 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 1 min. info

Im also thinking about doing the late extract addition.

4 lbs. American 2-row
1 lbs. Crystal Malt 10°L
0.5 lbs. Belgian Cara-Pils
.3 lbs. American Victory
3 lbs. Liquid Amber Extract
.7 oz. Centennial (Pellets, 10.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.40 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 1 min. info

Im also thinking about doing the late extract addition.

I like to mash with about 1.50 quarts per pound of grain in a PM. That's 8.7 quarts total. So, mash with 8.7 quarts at 153 degrees. (Your strike water might need to be around 164 to get you to 153). After an hour, drain the runnings and measure them. You can sparge with up to .5 gallons per pound of grain. Since you have just under 6 pounds of grain, you can sparge with up to 3 gallons, or until you get your boil volume.

So, say you get 1.25 gallons or so from the mash. You can sparge with 2 gallons to get you to 3.25 gallons for your boil volume. If you get a little less from the mash due to grain absorption, you can use a little more sparge water.

Back