So whatcha gonna do if we get another Stimulus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last stimulus was all about the brewing....This one will probably be all about the gas tank....Remember the good ole days 8 months ago when the world was young a green, gas hadn't gone over 4 bucks, and we all had retirement money?

*sigh*

Forget "were you better of 4 years ago, then you are now." the bigger question is "were you better off 8 10 months ago..)

Actually if I don't buy it for myself for Christmas...then I'll at least buy a wort chiller.....I've been holding off hoping I'd stumble upon a rolled up coil of copper on trash day somewhere....so I'll prolly just bite the bullet and buy one.

Another "stimulous" rebate is about the dumbest idea I've heard from Washington (and that's saying a lot).

People aren't going to spend it (nor should they!), not when they're as scared of the economy as they are today. It's not going to stimulate anything! For any Republicans who might support it, can you think of a tax cut/rebate that's LESS supply-side?

Oh, so this is what a failing, flailing monster looks like as it goes down in flames? Holy crap, are they actually talking about another stimulus check?

Today in hearings, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke told lawmakers that the time was ripe for another, "significant" stimulus to energize the economy amid the credit crisis.

Obama floated a second round of stimulus a few weeks ago, IIRC.

MarketWatch said:
http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid={D1A4B0D2-1D6B-4DFD-BC19-CEDD6156CD89}
Democratic leaders in the House and Senate have said they'd like to pass a second major stimulus plan quickly, either in a lame-duck session after the Nov. 4 election, or more likely in early January once the new Congress is sworn in.
Democrats say the bill would likely put about $150 billion into the economy, or about 1% of gross domestic product.

Oh, so this is what a failing, flailing monster looks like as it goes down in flames? Holy crap, are they actually talking about another stimulus check?

I am not sure at this point, but Bush is claiming we need another stimulus. At any rate, yeah the first one was like shooting a water pistol into an inferno. You can't just change the momentum in the market by putting a ridiculously small amount of liquidity back in.

I am beginning to wonder if it won't be a slow, painful economic death after all....I could see people wandering along in denial for several years out until things get really bad. But that's just my paranoid self talking.

The stimulus this time around will more than likely look a lot like "The New Deal". Trickle up economics at it's finest. The ****** bags on the finance committee that grilled Bernacke today all seemed to be pushing for federal road construction, dams, bridges, etc, etc, etc..... Increase political investment and then raise capital gains taxes to decrease private investment. Fantastic idea! It really worked for Roosevelt following the "Great Depression". It only took Pearl Harbor to bail us out of that one.

Side note. Will you folks from CT please vote this lady out of office: Rosa L. DeLauro. I watched the whole committee meeting today with Bernacke and she is a total %&*$(#.

American Buffalo's or Eagles. Whatever is cheaper at the time.

Send it to AIG of course. They'll be needing another bailout after they are done with the spa's and hunting trips we (read our gov't), apparently, funded (knowledge taken from second hand information in the smoke room).

Send it to AIG of course. They'll be needing another bailout after they are done with the spa's and hunting trips we (read our gov't), apparently, funded (knowledge taken from second hand information in the smoke room).

Aww c'mon 400k aint so bad :p

Man, tbh I am at a ethical conundrum with them. They have been my insurance carrier for years and I am not sure how I feel giving them my business anymore. I am seriously considering switching and writing them a formal letter as to why.

I am not sure at this point, but Bush is claiming we need another stimulus. At any rate, yeah the first one was like shooting a water pistol into an inferno. You can't just change the momentum in the market by putting a ridiculously small amount of liquidity back in.

Well, not quite. White House spokesperson said that they were "keeping an "open mind" " about another stimulus but wanted to get the financial buyout/rescue underway first.

Congressional Dems have been pushing a second stimulus since the end of September.
AFP: White House 'open' to new stimulus package

I will spend a good portion of mine on hookers and cocaine and then probably blow the rest.

We refinanced the house right before everything took a dump. Only because we had a 10 year ARM Loan and a Home Equity Line of Credit that we were getting hammered on in interest. Paid off the cards, Cars, Student loans and now all we have is the house payment, however to answer the question I think well probably dump it on the principal of the loan depending on how much it is. However, If it is the bull**** $1200 that we got last time - I am getting more Brewing Stuff. Just don't tell the SWMBO!!

Really depends on how much it is this time. Could start my Anti-Zombie beer bunker, put finishing touches on the remodel or paint the house. Put a down payment on a Barret or DPS .50 cal zombie nuker.

The wind is blowing in the direction of an even higher amount this time around.

Yup, I've seen numbers quoted in articles that this stimulus could be up to twice the previous stimistake check.

WTH, I built a basement bar with the last one, maybe this one can be a low tech brewhouse. Gotta spend that money to help the economy. It's patriotic!

:D

Either to pay off part of my credit card or student loans, OR to buy stuff for my wedding that would have gone on the credit card.

But I think (as it seems most Americans do, regardless of party affiliation) that it is a massively stupid thing for the govt to do.

My SWMBO works for a Russian native that lived through two depressions in Russia and apparently he said that in a depression salt and cooking oil greatly increase in price, so if I get another stimulus check I'll be buying salt and veg oil and selling it at a premium to buy more grain and hops. :drunk:

Buy a gun like I did with the first check.

Bought a Sig p250. I think i'll look into a 1911.

Pay off an old medical debt that's been harassing me for over a year.

I thought insurance was supposed to pay it, but my employer switched carriers and didn't tell us we'd be insurance-less for a month. 6 months later I get a bill in the mail for $800. Been mailing them constantly telling them I'll start making payments as soon as they agree to take it off my credit report. So far, nothing.

Now I call my insurance company before I make ANY kind of appointment.

Now I call my insurance company before I make ANY kind of appointment.

Well, sometimes that even isn't enough. I have been through this type of crap where the hospital/doctor said "Yeah that'll be covered" and ended up getting billed. Insurance companies suck, my method (and I don't recommend this, but I got fed up) is to wait until I actually get a collection notice for medical bills. Too many times I have been double billed, improperly billed, etc.

I haven't filed taxes in 3 years. I'm not getting any stimulus. And the US Gubbamint doesn't have my money in an Intrest-Free loan.

If I did get a check, It would go towards the new laptop.

B

Back