Acid blend alternative

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewnut

Reaction score
I am making a Blueberry wine and was wondering if there is an alternative to using Acid blend? It is a typical ingredient in most recipes I have found. Would using lemon juice concentrate work? Is this something that needs to be added for primary, or can it be added later if the taste is off a bit? So many questions, any help would be great.

acid concentrate should almost always be added before bottling, unless your using a recipe that has specified a specific amount to add at the primary. lemon juice can work as a substitute for most, but sometimes it is better to use the acid that is associated with your brew (citric acid for citrus, malic acid for apples, and other pairs that i dont know)

Since acid blend is a combination of tartaric, citric, and malic acids, lemon juice isn't really a good substitute for it. You can wait and add it later, although it is generally added to the primary. After you taste the must, if it needs some acid, you can either go ahead and add the acid blend or some lemon juice if you think it's low on citric acid. I think the commercial acid blends are generally like 50% citric acid, 25% malic acid, and 25% tartaric, but those vary with manufacturer.

I wouldn't necessarily add the type of acid associated with certain fruit- for example, apple wine. Adding more malic acid might make the malic acid flavor too strong, but acid blend might bring a depth of flavor missing, since it's also adding citric and tartaric acid. Acid blend is just a generally "probably make it taste better" addition, and no harm will come without.

Ah yes, once again Yooper must correct me. I try my best.

Oh, no, I wasn't trying to correct you! Not at all! I've just had a little bit more experience, and was speaking from my experience in balancing flavors (and I use Jack Keller's website as a resource, too!) and dealing with acid. I'm definitely no expert though- I rarely test acid, and just go by taste for the most part. Everyone appreciates input from others, believe me!

Thanks for the replies. I appreicaite all of them. I was trying to cut some corners. Thanks for putting me in my place. I am excited to try my first non-kit batch this week, should be interesting.

has anyone tried to add some acid to hard lemonade to add more flavor or maybe to taste better?? if you do how much have you added?

has anyone tried to add some acid to hard lemonade to add more flavor or maybe to taste better?? if you do how much have you added?

Lemonade is so acidic, it's hard to even get fermentation started. It's very tart, especially when it ferments out. I can't imagine adding even more acid.

Lemonade is so acidic, it's hard to even get fermentation started. It's very tart, especially when it ferments out. I can't imagine adding even more acid.

What about adding some acid blend in second fermentor to add a tartaric flavor?? or what can i use to add a tartaric flavor to hard lemonade?

My last recipe that called for acid blend I used 2 Tbsp lemon juice and 4 Tbsp white grape juice instead. It came out well.

In the winery they just use tartaric acid for adjusting wine pH. Adding malic acid before mlf is pointless anyway, and malic is a very sour acid. It depends what you are doing, but I think tartaric is fine for most purposes.

Latest posts

Back