Cold crash bottle condition help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikeirons

Reaction score
Just got done making Edworts Haus Pale Ale and would like to clear the beer before bottling (Can't keg) and with never cold crashing would like some help.

What my plan is is to transfer into secondary since its currently in my bottling bucket and cold crash it in an old fridge for a couple days.
Bring it out of fridge and either:
1. Add 5 oz priming sugar and bottle cold and let it sit at room temp in bottles until carbed. Or
2. Let it come up to room temp before bottling. Add Sugar and bottle

Which is better 1 or 2 or something all together different?

Since I never did this do I need to worry about having enough yeast still in suspension after cold crashing? Should I add yeast at bottling?

Thanks

I let my beer warm back up to close to fermenting temps prior to bottling but I'm not sure it really matters.

You can find a lot of discussion about initial CO2 volumes and bottling vs fermenting temps. Most agree that the highest temps prior to cold crashing should be used in your priming sugar calculations, but I have seem no definite conclusions. If you decide to bottle it cold, let us know how your carbonation turns out.

Sorry I didn't really answer your question.

You don't have to add any more yeast. There will still be plenty in suspension.

I love me som EHPA. I've got a couple of cases in the fridge right now.

Sorry I didn't really answer your question.

You don't have to add any more yeast. There will still be plenty in suspension.

I love me som EHPA. I've got a couple of cases in the fridge right now.

I was just going to ask you that. Lol
I was leaning towards letting it come up to temp before bottling

How long does it take you to get it up to room temp?
How much priming sugar do you use?

Thanks
Slow Day!!

I usually let it sit at room temp for at lest 4 hours. It doesn't always get all the way back to fermenting temps, but it gets close.

You can use one of the free priming calculators on line. I use Brewers Friend just because it was one of the first I found.

For EHPA, I usually shoot for 2.5 volumes of CO2. Per the calculator, 5 gallons, 68 deg (highest after ferment) fermenting temp = 4.8 oz priming sugar.

Your 5 oz addition would be just fine.

What's the difference? Cold beer isn't going to affect the sugar. The bottles will probably warm faster than a full 5 gallon container.

Probably nothing. My, (probably unfounded), concern is the possibility of extra CO2 suspended in the cooler beer resulting in over carbonated beer. I'd like to hear from other bottlers that prime and bottle at a lower than fermented temp and their experiences.

I also suspect that the sugar dissolves better in warmer beer. But again, it probably doesn't matter.

This is a post I found from Yooper

"I've lagered beers for 8 weeks and the beers carbed up just fine afterwards, so certainly cold crashing for a few days won't harm it at all. You don't have to warm up the beer to bottle, and you probably want to bottle it cool anyway as to not restir/resuspend the stuff that fell out in the cold crash. But you'll have to let them carb up at room temperature. It works perfectly!

What sometimes happens though is that people use "carbonation calculators" that ask for beer temperature. It doesn't say to use fermentation temperature, NOT current temperature! So, if you put in, say 34 degrees, it'll tell you to use like 1 ounce of corn sugar. Which of course means the beer won't carb! If and when you use a carbonation calculator, use the highest temperature that the beer reached during/after fermentation in that calculator. That will be most accurate.

I found that carbonation calculators never worked well for me, as I like my beer carbed pretty well (like at 2.4 volumes for most styles). So I found that using 1 ounce of corn sugar per gallon of finished beer worked great for me all of the time.

If you end up with 4.5 gallons at the end after the trub losses, then using 4.5 ounces of corn sugar (by weight) would be perfect. I have always weighed my sugar on my kitchen scale (I use it for hops, too), but if you don't have a scale that weighs to ounces you could use 3/4 cup of sugar loosely placed in a measuring cup."

Thanks Nikeirons. Yoopertruths are what I go with. Bottle cold from now on.

Are you able to transfer the beer from the carboy into your bottling from the fridge? I would try siphon from the fridge so you don't shake anything up while moving your nicely cold crashed beer.

Back