Why do they sell 5ft lines for draft set ups?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
I Feel as If most people have problems with their first draft set up because of their lines. Every time someone has a problem with their set up, the first thing for someone to say is get longer lines! (mostly too much foam)

Why do companies only sell 5 ft lines? If they need to be 10ft plus...... at least give people the option!

I can't imagine how much beer homebrewers have wasted because they bought something from the store that is supposedly the right set up for them.

I understand the companies want to save money....but I would rather they charge more for the extra length so less beer is wasted.

I know 5 feet of line CAN work. But in most cases...longer beer lines are better.

I agree with you. I run 8' lines and there is a definite limit on the carbonation level I can run. It was discouraging the first couple kegs I ran until I figured out what was going on.

I just ordered the kit from northern brewer. didn't even think of how much line came with it until earlier today, went back to check and it is 5ft. so I guess we will see how it works. First adventures in kegging so I am sure there will be a learning curve. Now to find a CO2 tank.

Four words....."McMaster Epoxy Mixing Bayonet"

Look it up and you will find that 5ft line length is fine, even 3ft line length is fine. I use 2 in each keg.

You're welcome.

or just get 10' of 3/16 tubing. I carbonate and serve at 12 psi roughly with no head problems. Perfect pour.

Oh and get about 6 feet extra 3/16 because you can shave down the end a little and it will fit right in a perlick faucet. That way you can fill bottles and growlers without changing your pressure or buying some expensive counterpressure toys.

Your welcome.:D

I had a kegerator with 5' of line that served wonderfully. I jus sold it and built the keezer below with 10' lines.

Woops:

image-2921682406.jpg

After a week of use, it became very clear to me that my line was too long (very slow pours at relatively high psi), so I cut them down to 5.5' and couldn't be happier.

Length of beer line has more to do with where you're pushing it than anything else.

When I bought my kegerator, I just used that short line to make a keg-to-keg jumper line. Worked perfectly.

:D

Five to six feet of line works reasonably well in most set ups. But like everything else in brewing there is a fair amount of trial and error to get the setup that works best for you. However, the question you should really be asking is why are they selling you cheap vinyl beverage line instead of offering something like Bev-seal line. And why do they sell you crappy rear sealing faucets, which everyone wants to replace a week after they get them, instead of forward seal faucets. These are the upgrades that places should be offering in their standard kits. It would likely only make the kits about 10% more expensive and it would take care of the vast majority of the issues that people complain about when they first start kegging.

They sell you 4' or 5' when you buy a setup so you have to come back and buy more lines. They get another sale from the lines and just about any homebrewer can't just buy ONE thing when they go the LHBS.

Back