So its about to be september, whos got an oktoberfest lagering?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, it's that time of year. August is finishing up and September is starting so were starting to see fall beers, who's got a o'fest lagering getting ready to drink at the end of the month??? I've had mine lagering for 2 months, finally kegged it to start slowly carbonating it for my o'fest party. Share your recipes!!! I'm including mine with details on how I did and and y I did certain things. It turned out amazing, seriously amazing, probably my best beer I've ever done (out of about 30 batches or so). Enjoy, feel free to clone it! There's still time to have it at least by mid October!

I do 12.5 gallon batches but here's my recipe n stats
Efficiency on my set up is about 80% so adjust for yours.
IBU: 21 SRM: 10.6 ABV: 5.25%
OG: 1.053(13.25P) TG: 1.013(3.25P)

8lb Bries Pilsner Malt 33%
8lb Bries Vienna Malt 33%
5lb Best Malz Munich 21%
2lb Weyermann caramunich III 8%
1lb weyermann melanoidin 4%

1oz Hallertauer 5.2% AA 90 Min (yes 90 minutes)
.75oz hallertauer ---- 50 min
.25oz hallertauer ---- 15 min

Make starter (I used a wyeast Czech pilsner yeast that I harvested off of a bohemian/Czech pils I did)
Aerate the crap out of the wort (I use pure o2 with a SS stone for a couple minutes)
Pitch yeast at 62, wait 24 hours and drop temp to 54
Let it ferment down to about 20% left to attenuate (around 1.022) and naturally let the temp rise to 60-62 for a diacetyl rest (even though the flavor profile has already been established by this point, i wouldnt go any higher than 62 as 62 is plenty high for just about every lager strain to complete a fermentation/D rest) - (usually 2-3 days- 12.5 gallons takes a while to raise 6-8 degrees in the basement so raising the temp usually takes a day itself)
Take a gravity reading and be sure beer has attenuated fully or within 1 or maybe 2 SPG points from TG
Begin reducing temp by 5 degrees per day until 33F - or higher if you are unable to lager as long, maybe 40 for 3 weeks and then 33 for final week before kegging and carbing/ bottling.
I would recommend racking to a secondary for lagering once temp is at 50 or just below. This will keep CO2 in solution better during the transfer, and will also keep the yeast compacted down since it is cold, plus more yeast will floc out so there's not as much in the lagering vessel/secondary.

I plan on force carbing very slowly to have a perfect carbonation rather than blasting it with 30psi or something.. After waiting 3 months by the time I drink it, All the small things will matter - to me at least.

And yes to all you other beer geeks, lol, I know the recipe is not 100% traditional, I know that Vienna traditionally make up most of the base and is balanced by the Munich, I like the less harsh flavor profile that the pilsner adds as it plays with the Vienna and added a nice full body without the "bock" like flavor, besides if you make a porter I'm sure most everyone now a days uses a pale base malt right? (not so traditional! Lol), and melanoidin isn't traditional either but I used to to imitate the effect of decoction which I love. also I know the hop addition at 15 may be unusual, but the aroma it adds is hardly none, but what it does add is subtle and is definitely way, way behind the aroma of the malt, and leads your smell into the subtle flavors of the earlier hop additions - and trust me the Czech yeast was good for this one, I'll be doing the same recipe with Augustiner yeast from TBSI that I got my hands on from a professional brewer from my work (so I'll post how that one is too) but that yeast fermented nice and clean which let everything else power through.

Tell me what you think if you end up brewing it anyone!
Oh yeah I'll post a picture when I tap it in a couple weeks - its crystal clear and as bright as any filtered beer I've ever had w/out filtering.

- the yeast wrangler

I did one at the first of August but I used SA-04, like the OktoberFast recipe here on the board. I have brewed lagers before but I had ales in my fermentation cooler and couldn't drop the temp to lager fermentation temperature.

I just kegged it last night and it was awesome. I'm not totally sure I would try doing an Oktoberfest with lager yeast after tasting this brew. I kept the fermentation temp on the lower end of the range for the yeast, about 62˚F, and it is very clean tasting. I did try doing my first double decoction mash, so that might have something to do with my results too.

I don't want to take away from your thread, but wanted to share my results in case others waited too late to lager.

The recipe 5 gallons, 90 min boil:

4.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row)
2.50 lb Vienna Malt
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L
1.00 lb Aromatic Malt
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt
.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
1.00 oz Tettnang [3.20%] (60 min)
.50 oz Tettnang [3.20%] (45 min)
.50 oz Tettnang [3.20%] (30 min)

Yeast SafAle SA-04 - 1 packet rehydrated

Cool, i might do an Alex version of Oktoberfest sometime during winter. And no problem. I wanna see everyone's recipes too!

Mine is a vanilla pumpkin lager with Octoberfest as the base style. It's still lagering and will be through September. I'll be bottling it the first week of October to be ready around Halloween. Here's the recipe:

Efficiency: 75%
OG: 1.061
FG: 1.010
ABV: 5.6%
SRM: 12.1
IBU: 26.4

I mostly followed the recipe ghpeel gave me in my thread about doing my first lager, but I had to make a hop sub and accidentally used an extra pound of Munich malt due to a transposition error from the board to BeerSmith.

5# Pilsen
5# Munich
.5# Crystal 120L
.375# Crystal 40L
.25# Flaked Oats
.25# Flaked Wheat
2# Roasted Pumpkin Puree

2.5 oz Hallertauer @ 60 min

Saflager S-23 x 2

Mashed at 148 F for 60 min. Fermented at 53 F for 11 days (quick fermentation, I know) then brought it up to 65 for a D-rest for 3 days. Transferred to secondary and commenced lagering about 3 weeks ago and now just waiting for the first week of October to bottle. 2 vanilla beans (gutted) and 3 tsp of pumpkin pie spice soaked in vodka for a week added to secondary. I am beyond excited since this is both my first lager and first pumpkin beer.

I have two 5gal batches lagrring now that I brewed in March and early April. Tapped one last month and had to stash it for my OCTOBERFEST PARTY this month. That one awash really good. The second was the same recipe with an octoberfest yeast first was a Munich lager yeast. Can't wait to try them side by side.

Hows this been treating you? I happen to like a good bit of melanoiden in my beers too.

Hey everyone, it's that time of year. August is finishing up and September is starting so were starting to see fall beers, who's got a o'fest lagering getting ready to drink at the end of the month??? I've had mine lagering for 2 months, finally kegged it to start slowly carbonating it for my o'fest party. Share your recipes!!! I'm including mine with details on how I did and and y I did certain things. It turned out amazing, seriously amazing, probably my best beer I've ever done (out of about 30 batches or so). Enjoy, feel free to clone it! There's still time to have it at least by mid October!

I do 12.5 gallon batches but here's my recipe n stats
Efficiency on my set up is about 80% so adjust for yours.
IBU: 21 SRM: 10.6 ABV: 5.25%
OG: 1.053(13.25P) TG: 1.013(3.25P)

8lb Bries Pilsner Malt 33%
8lb Bries Vienna Malt 33%
5lb Best Malz Munich 21%
2lb Weyermann caramunich III 8%
1lb weyermann melanoidin 4%

1oz Hallertauer 5.2% AA 90 Min (yes 90 minutes)
.75oz hallertauer ---- 50 min
.25oz hallertauer ---- 15 min

Make starter (I used a wyeast Czech pilsner yeast that I harvested off of a bohemian/Czech pils I did)
Aerate the crap out of the wort (I use pure o2 with a SS stone for a couple minutes)
Pitch yeast at 62, wait 24 hours and drop temp to 54
Let it ferment down to about 20% left to attenuate (around 1.022) and naturally let the temp rise to 60-62 for a diacetyl rest (even though the flavor profile has already been established by this point, i wouldnt go any higher than 62 as 62 is plenty high for just about every lager strain to complete a fermentation/D rest) - (usually 2-3 days- 12.5 gallons takes a while to raise 6-8 degrees in the basement so raising the temp usually takes a day itself)
Take a gravity reading and be sure beer has attenuated fully or within 1 or maybe 2 SPG points from TG
Begin reducing temp by 5 degrees per day until 33F - or higher if you are unable to lager as long, maybe 40 for 3 weeks and then 33 for final week before kegging and carbing/ bottling.
I would recommend racking to a secondary for lagering once temp is at 50 or just below. This will keep CO2 in solution better during the transfer, and will also keep the yeast compacted down since it is cold, plus more yeast will floc out so there's not as much in the lagering vessel/secondary.

I plan on force carbing very slowly to have a perfect carbonation rather than blasting it with 30psi or something.. After waiting 3 months by the time I drink it, All the small things will matter - to me at least.

And yes to all you other beer geeks, lol, I know the recipe is not 100% traditional, I know that Vienna traditionally make up most of the base and is balanced by the Munich, I like the less harsh flavor profile that the pilsner adds as it plays with the Vienna and added a nice full body without the "bock" like flavor, besides if you make a porter I'm sure most everyone now a days uses a pale base malt right? (not so traditional! Lol), and melanoidin isn't traditional either but I used to to imitate the effect of decoction which I love. also I know the hop addition at 15 may be unusual, but the aroma it adds is hardly none, but what it does add is subtle and is definitely way, way behind the aroma of the malt, and leads your smell into the subtle flavors of the earlier hop additions - and trust me the Czech yeast was good for this one, I'll be doing the same recipe with Augustiner yeast from TBSI that I got my hands on from a professional brewer from my work (so I'll post how that one is too) but that yeast fermented nice and clean which let everything else power through.

Tell me what you think if you end up brewing it anyone!
Oh yeah I'll post a picture when I tap it in a couple weeks - its crystal clear and as bright as any filtered beer I've ever had w/out filtering.

- the yeast wrangler

Back