pressure cooker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andysat

Reaction score
has anybody ever used a pressure cooker for their wort?
any benefits or disadvantages?
it's just an idea
thanks andy.

I can't think of any potential advantages. You still have to boil for a certain length of time, to have the hops utilization. Unless you were canning wort for starters, I can't see a use for it.

You need to vent your boil to the great outdoors or the nasties will stay in your brew. I don't think the pressure cooker would let enough out.

A pressure could would only allow you to cook the wort at a higher temperature. I don't foresee this being advantageous.

You'd have a problem with DMS not boiling off, but you'd be able to hit higher bitter levels by boiling at higher temperatures. The saturation point for isomerized AA rises with temperature. Overall, I'd say bad idea.

I use a pressure cooker. But I only use the pot, I do not put the top on, so I don't really pressure cook my wort. If its taking to long to get to a boil, since I boil on my eletric range in my kitchen, I'll put the top on a little bit to get the temp up a bit. Seems to work fine so far.

Back