Mr.Beer Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueMoonFishing

Reaction score
I'm going to brew up my first batch today. And just had a quick question.

The brew that come with the kit is a Pale Ale. So it has a can of HME and a bag of booster.

I'm not a pale ale drinker. So I ordered the
Witty Monk Wheat. Which the kit comes with two cans of Witty HME,

So dose that mean I don't use the Booster when I make the Witty. Cuz there two cans?

Welcome to the hobby! That's correct, you don't need to use the booster with their 2-can kits.

In my experience, Mr. Beer pre-hopped extract isn't particularly great and relatively expensive if I recall correctly. I would suggest using unhopped extract alongside steeping grains and "real" hops for your future brews.

I would steep some extra grain and some hops with it. There is a recipe around here that a guy did with mr beer monk. I tried it and I thought it came out terrible.

My son bought a Mr. Beer and basically the booster is just sugar and makes the brew seem thin and cidery. He became frustrated due to the taste. So, I showed him how to use dry malt extract and hop pellets to brew his own 2 gallon recipe. We made a dopplebock wheat and he said it was the best brew he has ever tasted. Cost less than the cans they sell with the kits and the process is the same. After you use up those cans you already paid for, I highly recommend using DME and hops and I think you will find it is cheaper and much better tasting.

Congrats to the hobby and good brewing.

DD2000GT said:
My son bought a Mr. Beer and basically the booster is just sugar and makes the brew seem thin and cidery. He became frustrated due to the taste. So, I showed him how to use dry malt extract and hop pellets to brew his own 2 gallon recipe. We made a dopplebock wheat and he said it was the best brew he has ever tasted. Cost less than the cans they sell with the kits and the process is the same. After you use up those cans you already paid for, I highly recommend using DME and hops and I think you will find it is cheaper and much better tasting.

Congrats to the hobby and good brewing.

Do u think u could share the recipe. I'm still new. I'm a big fan of Wheat Beer. I'm still leaning all the terms. Also would u kno a good Magazine to get or book?

I'm going to brew up my first batch today. And just had a quick question.

The brew that come with the kit is a Pale Ale. So it has a can of HME and a bag of booster.

I'm not a pale ale drinker. So I ordered the
Witty Monk Wheat. Which the kit comes with two cans of Witty HME,

So dose that mean I don't use the Booster when I make the Witty. Cuz there two cans?

Hey there, I just started on my first batch as well.

My wife got me the kit as a gift, but she also sprung for the American Devil IPA. It comes with two cans of HME as well, and no Booster. When the MrBeer kits come that way (I believe they call them Deluxe HME kits), you just use both cans, and no booster.

As far as the extra hop additions, I can't speak to that, as I am in the same boat as you otherwise. Good luck!! :mug:

HooniverseJeff said:
Hey there, I just started on my first batch as well.

My wife got me the kit as a gift, but she also sprung for the American Devil IPA. It comes with two cans of HME as well, and no Booster. When the MrBeer kits come that way (I believe they call them Deluxe HME kits), you just use both cans, and no booster.

As far as the extra hop additions, I can't speak to that, as I am in the same boat as you otherwise. Good luck!! :mug:

Thanks!! How did your first batch go so far. I'm waiting for my Witty Monk to come in mail today. I'm getting excited. I was just going to do the Pale Ale when I got the Kit. But I just not a big Fan of it. So I figured I do a brew that I like. Hope to experiment and get a brew close to a Blue Moon

Do u think u could share the recipe. I'm still new. I'm a big fan of Wheat Beer. I'm still leaning all the terms. Also would u kno a good Magazine to get or book?

Book - How to Brew by John Palmer
There is an online version of it here -> How to Brew - By John Palmer but it's the first edition and he has since changed his opinion on some of the things in that one. Things have changed over the years as far as things like available ingredients go. One example is the yeast that is now available to homebrewers now has changed and so John has changed up a bit on whether it's necessary to use secondary fermentation, etc... Regardless, the online version gives a good overview of the process and terms. As you progress though you may want to get the latest edition from a bookstore.

Magazine - Brew Your Own -> Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - home page
and Zymurgy which is the magazine for the American Homebrewers Association -> Homebrewers Association | Zymurgy Current Issue

In the meantime, my I suggest you expand your palate a little. By all means, brew what you like, you'll enjoy it much more that way. But, get out there and try some more commercial examples of some other styles. You may just surprise yourself! For example, when I say "Pale Ale" to most non-craft beer drinkers, many of them think of Sierra Nevada. That is far from the only pale that's out there. There are many different brewers of pales and you will get a different flavor profile from almost every single one.

Other than that... Welcome! :mug:

Just a heads up, you can do a pretty decent American wheat or German hefe using just straight Wheat DME, an appropriate 60 minute charge of hops and the correct yeast for style. I've done a hefe this way a couple of times and it turns out pretty good.

cracked1 said:
Book - How to Brew by John Palmer
There is an online version of it here -> How to Brew - By John Palmer but it's the first edition and he has since changed his opinion on some of the things in that one. Things have changed over the years as far as things like available ingredients go. One example is the yeast that is now available to homebrewers now has changed and so John has changed up a bit on whether it's necessary to use secondary fermentation, etc... Regardless, the online version gives a good overview of the process and terms. As you progress though you may want to get the latest edition from a bookstore.

Magazine - Brew Your Own -> Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - home page
and Zymurgy which is the magazine for the American Homebrewers Association -> Homebrewers Association | Zymurgy Current Issue

In the meantime, my I suggest you expand your palate a little. By all means, brew what you like, you'll enjoy it much more that way. But, get out there and try some more commercial examples of some other styles. You may just surprise yourself! For example, when I say "Pale Ale" to most non-craft beer drinkers, many of them think of Sierra Nevada. That is far from the only pale that's out there. There are many different brewers of pales and you will get a different flavor profile from almost every single one.

Other than that... Welcome! :mug:

Thanks for the info. I'll def check out the books and Mags!!

Also I will be doing differ beers for friends and Family. My friends wants me to to a Oatmeal stout.

Shooter said:
Just a heads up, you can do a pretty decent American wheat or German hefe using just straight Wheat DME, an appropriate 60 minute charge of hops and the correct yeast for style. I've done a hefe this way a couple of times and it turns out pretty good.

Thanks Bud!!

I'm taking lots of notes now on stuff. Have u ever tried adding Orange peels or anything? Just a suggestion for down the road.

I also got started on Mr. Beer so I do not like to knock it, but the first batch I made with it was horrible and I dumped it down the drain. Good thing I allready had a 5 gal batch I made from lme or else I probably would not be brewing still. I even tried to make another batch after I had been brewing for a while and it was also terrible. I would try the Mr. Beer out, but do not have high hopes for it. Eventually get a starter kit with dme, steeping grains, hops, and good yeast if you really want to make good tasting beer.

Thanks!! How did your first batch go so far. I'm waiting for my Witty Monk to come in mail today. I'm getting excited. I was just going to do the Pale Ale when I got the Kit. But I just not a big Fan of it. So I figured I do a brew that I like. Hope to experiment and get a brew close to a Blue Moon

It's only been in the Mr Beer fermenter for about 3 days now. I will be sure to post when I pop open the first bottle.

andrew300 said:
I also got started on Mr. Beer so I do not like to knock it, but the first batch I made with it was horrible and I dumped it down the drain. Good thing I allready had a 5 gal batch I made from lme or else I probably would not be brewing still. I even tried to make another batch after I had been brewing for a while and it was also terrible. I would try the Mr. Beer out, but do not have high hopes for it. Eventually get a starter kit with dme, steeping grains, hops, and good yeast if you really want to make good tasting beer.

I'm not expecting to make a top notch beer first brew. But It says it's ready to bottle in 7 days but alot say to wait 14 then bottle and the wait another 14 days. I'm not going to rush it.

I've been looking around at 5 gal kits just over whelmed of what's out there. I'm still new. But I do love craft brews.

I'm not expecting to make a top notch beer first brew. But It says it's ready to bottle in 7 days but alot say to wait 14 then bottle and the wait another 14 days. I'm not going to rush it.

I've been looking around at 5 gal kits just over whelmed of what's out there. I'm still new. But I do love craft brews.

Well, welcome to the hobby. Theres alot of starter kits online from morebeer, northern brewer, austin homebrew supply, williams brewing etc. Also check your local homebrew store if you have one. They can usually give you some helpful advise when your ready. :mug:

Keep an eye out for a Groupon from Midwest Supplies. If I recall, it was 65 bucks for the starter kit and a recipe. It's a good deal to get you everything you need to get started on five gallon kits.

Another thing you can do. Buy another Mr Beer keg, make a five gallon kit, and split it between two Mr Beer kegs. I did this for quite a while due to space limitations and it will work out fine for you need be.

truckndad said:
Keep an eye out for a Groupon from Midwest Supplies. If I recall, it was 65 bucks for the starter kit and a recipe. It's a good deal to get you everything you need to get started on five gallon kits.

Another thing you can do. Buy another Mr Beer keg, make a five gallon kit, and split it between two Mr Beer kegs. I did this for quite a while due to space limitations and it will work out fine for you need be.

Thanks buddy. I'll def keep my eye out for deals. Idk anyplace near me I'll have to look online. But I was thinking of doing the the two mr beer kegs thing also cuz we live in an apartment and not alot of room with a wife and two kids!!

Back