Quick starter question. I am brewing a IIPA tomorrow with an OG of 1.090

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLW

Reaction score
I am using 2 vials of White Labs California Ale Yeast WLP001. Based on Mr. Malty calculation I need 323 billion cells 2 liquid vials and 2.45 liter starter.

2 liters of water equals 8 cups? Am I reading this right? Seems like a big starter or I just haven't done them right int he past. :)

Oh, and how much DME?

Thanks for the quick the response. I won't brew until tomorrow evening so I think 18 to 20 hours should be long enough.

Thanks for the quick the response. I won't brew until tomorrow evening so I think 18 to 20 hours should be long enough.

ya, should be fine. I always through mine into the fridge to let the yeast drop down so I can decant the top liquid off. I don't like the idea of pouring 2 L of starter wort into my beers, though I'm sure on a IIPA you wouldn't be able to tell.

Are you using a stir plate or the swirl when I walk by method?

I use the walk by method for now. I am considering buying or building a stir plate.

This is the first starter I built using the directions at Mr. Malty and the airlock was bubbling within 30 min.

I use the walk by method for now. I am considering buying or building a stir plate.

This is the first starter I built using the directions at Mr. Malty and the airlock was bubbling within 30 min.

airlock on the starter? don't want to put one on a starter, just a piece of aluminum foil or something to cover the top. It allows for oxygen exchange.

Used used two vials of yeast? You could have used one and split it between two flask.

Last month I made a IIPA with an og 1.1
I used one vial of yeast and split it up like I said. Using the walk by stir method for 36hrs. Last time I checked my fg 1.015

If you want good attenuation you need to mash for a long time at a low temp like 150.

Hope this helps for your future brews. :mug:

Used used two vials of yeast? You could have used one and split it between two flask.

Last month I made a IIPA with an og 1.1
I used one vial of yeast and split it up like I said. Using the walk by stir method for 36hrs. Last time I checked my fg 1.015

If you want good attenuation you need to mash for a long time at a low temp like 150.

Hope this helps for your future brews. :mug:

The recipe calls for a 60 min mash@ 150. Are you recommending something like a 90 minute mash at 150?

@Chef - I put the airlock on there becuse that was what the LHBS instructed me to do a while back. I see your point on the oxygen exchange. I removed the lid replced with foil and will continue to wlak by stir until I oitch in a few hours. Just getting ready to start my brew in a few minutes.

@Chef - I put the airlock on there becuse that was what the LHBS instructed me to do a while back. I see your point on the oxygen exchange. I removed the lid replced with foil and will continue to wlak by stir until I oitch in a few hours. Just getting ready to start my brew in a few minutes.

Good deal, should be fine. Good luck with the brew.

@ Chef I put the aitlock on becuse that was how the LHBS had instructed awhile back. I see your point on the oxygen exchange. I have removed and replaced with foil until I pitch in a few hours. I just started a few minutes ago.

groundhog_day.jpg

LOL, yeah aparently I did divide by zero. I haven't even had a beer yet.

:D

I mashed for 90 min and did two 3 gallon batch sparges at 170 then boiled for about 75 minutes and ended up with about 5.5 gallons of wort. Barely missed my OG. Recipe called for 1.090 and I got 1.086 I'm not complaining.

Maybe if I had collected more wort from the second sparge I would have hit my numbers.

Latest posts

Back