Six String Pecan Porter (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriswilkes33

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Irish Ale (White Labs WLP004)
Batch Size (Gallons): 10
Original Gravity: 1.070
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU: 28
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 39 SRM
Starter: 3L
Primary Fermentation: 10 days
Secondary Fermentation: Aged 28 days in keg

Ingredients:

20.0 Lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2.0 Lbs. Caramel/Crystal 30L
1.25 Lbs. Black Patent Malt
1.25 Lbs Chocolate Malt
4 oz. Roasted Crushed Pecans (start with raw pecans )(added to mash)
2.5 oz. Glacier Hops AA 6.0% (Boil 60 min.)

Mash at 153 for 60 min. using 1.25 qt/lb

Enjoy

How do you roast the pecans? Is there a certain temp/time in the oven? Crush after roast or before?

I'm new to using nuts in the mash :D

I put them all on a cookie sheet in the oven whole on 275 for about 20 minutes. The house will smell awesome. Afterwards, I crushed them as fine as possible and added them to the mash.

What is the point of roasting? I was thinking of adding some pecans to the mash but hadn't considered roasting them.

I let them go until they started to turn black. The pecans add a nice sweetness to the finish in a porter.

So I brewed something similar to this this last weekend. I ended up using 6 oz pecans, and toasted them dark in the oven as you suggested. I also added a cup of molasses. I didn't have the glacier hops so I used some Nugget instead. Otherwise, I used the exact same grain bill.

This was my maiden voyage for my brutus 10 system I just finished, so I'm excited to see how it comes out. Had major activity within four hours...

Did my first taster of this, and it is coming out really nice. You can just get a hint of the pecans at the end. I think in hindsight I might have up'ed it to 12 oz and toasted it even a bit more.

Still a damn fine porter though!

What is the point of roasting? I was thinking of adding some pecans to the mash but hadn't considered roasting them.

Dont know how I missed this, the point is to try and eliminate the oils from the pecans as they kill head retention. Dont know how much it helps but it does at least make the house smell fantastic.

Dont know how I missed this, the point is to try and eliminate the oils from the pecans as they kill head retention. Dont know how much it helps but it does at least make the house smell fantastic.

Are you not worried about sanitizing/Sterilizing them because the mash will then be boiled? Or does roasting them also kill most of the unwanted beasties?

Thanks in advance

Finding this only a year late...

All of the bacteria should be plenty sterilized after the mash is boiled. I'm brewing a Nut Brown ale right now, and I wound up deciding to create a walnut extract, then add the extract and the nuts to the secondary. I had considered your method, but ended up eliminating it.

Also, in case this hasn't been answered for everyone within the last year: roasting pecans always enhances the pecans' flavor. Whenever one bakes with walnuts or pecans, one should always roast them to bring all the oils to the fore and enhance the flavors. Presumably, the same would go for beer.

Back