Brew Pal software in the iTunes App Store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started having the previously mentioned problem with the grains not showing up.
I'd hate to have to re-enter the all the recipes I have stored on there.
hmmm....

I sent the dev an email a few days back and haven't heard anything yet either...

Guess I can't expect too much for such an inexpensive app :)

I just started having the previously mentioned problem with the grains not showing up.
I'd hate to have to re-enter the all the recipes I have stored on there.
hmmm....

If your "Grains" icon went missing, that's an easy fix, it just moved.

At the bottom right of the screen, tap More

photo_22.jpg

At the top of the More screen, tap Edit

photo19.jpg

Then you can drag and drop the Grains/Adj. icon down into the bar at the bottom.

photo_31.jpg

\ If the developer is still lurking, I would like to request BeerXML import/export function so it's easier to share/move around recipes.

Someone in another thread said the devoper responded to his email..so why isnt he responding to his own thread or our emails?

The Dev has, historically, been very good about returning emails, lurking on this thread, and making updates. Be patient, I'm sure he's around somewhere. I remember a few months back making some requests on this thread and within a week there was a new release with many of the suggestions in place.

Trust in the Dev. You never know, maybe he's working (J.O.B.) or brewing (B.E.E.R.).

Hi everyone,

I've replying while at work (ya, my *real* job :) ), but I want you to know that I will be taking care of all outstanding correspondence tonight. You have every right to expect support, even from a $0.99 app.

Dave

^^^
This is why the App Store is better than anything else. SUPPORT!

Thanks Dave, this is very much appreciated.

well we've still got the issue of it crashing when changing the recipe amount. I'm not asking for instant fixes. Just an acknowledgement that he has recieved our emails... which he just emailed me. But my first email along with other folks had gone out in September. I love the product, but it crashing is pretty big if you cant change the batch amount.

well we've still got the issue of it crashing when changing the recipe amount. I'm not asking for instant fixes. Just an acknowledgement that he has recieved our emails... which he just emailed me. But my first email along with other folks had gone out in September. I love the product, but it crashing is pretty big if you cant change the batch amount.

His email states this is corrected in 1.6.5. WOOHOO!

Yeah, I just got a nice email from him as well. Sounds like there's quite a few fixes coming in the new version :mug:

Yikes, Brew Pal got away from me there for a bit! Don't worry, I am working on a 1.6.5 release; hopefully to be available in the App store in a few weeks' time.

- First of all, THANK YOU hexmonkey for posting screenshots and a detailed description of how to move pages! I think that will help a lot of people. New users will see "Grains/Adj." in the bottom left by default.

- Regarding color and extract selection: I do have a limited list of SRM and extract potential, mostly because I am trying to keep things simple for new users. It sounds like I might have to add some more commonly used values to meet the needs of all you power users however :) Look for this to change in 1.6.5.

- Recipe scaling should be fixed!

- I am going to look more into gravity calculation. Since Brew Pal was originally focused on all-grain brewing (as am I), I didn't account for extract very well. Version 1.6.5 will take into account the liquid volume of your extract so your boil volumes will be more accurate. I am also looking into problems with OG calculation and system losses, and 1.6.5 will show both pre-boil and post-boil OG so as not to confuse users that prefer one or the other.

1.6.5 updates:

New yeasts can be added and edited
Grains and additions will show % for each item
Hops will show IBU contributions per item
Yeast attenuation will be easier to control
BU/GU balance will be shown on hop page (actually BV = 0.8 * IBU / RTE)
Email will be sent using the built-in Mail application, now available within Brew Pal in OS 3.0
The UI will be prettier
A few bugs have been squashed

Cheers,
Dave

Is there anywhere that tells you off hand what your post boil volume should be? I'm assuming its just my batch volume minus kettle loss and trub loss, I'm just so anal that I want to double check to make sure my loss settings are accurate.

Jesse, there is nowhere that shows it explicitly, no. I have an idea for how to handle all the volumes in 1.7, showing each step along the way. In 1.6 you can take the batch volume and add the fermentation trub loss (from the Settings tab) to get your post boil volume. With the default 0.5 gallon fermentation trub loss, a 5 gallon batch would have a 5.5 gallon post-boil volume going into the fermenter, leaving behind 0.5 gallons of trub in the boil kettle. The pre-boil volume would then then be 5.5 + 0.5 = 6 gallons + 10% boiloff/hour, or 6.67 gallons for a 60 minute boil.

Dave

Jesse, there is nowhere that shows it explicitly, no. I have an idea for how to handle all the volumes in 1.7, showing each step along the way. In 1.6 you can take the batch volume and add the fermentation trub loss (from the Settings tab) to get your post boil volume. With the default 0.5 gallon fermentation trub loss, a 5 gallon batch would have a 5.5 gallon post-boil volume going into the fermenter, leaving behind 0.5 gallons of trub in the boil kettle. The pre-boil volume would then then be 5.5 + 0.5 = 6 gallons + 10% boiloff/hour, or 6.67 gallons for a 60 minute boil.

Dave

Thanks, that's kinda what I meant. But in the kettle my post boil volume is going to be 5g + .5g (Kettle Loss) + .5g (Fermenter loss)=6g right? I just got a burner and I'm trying to fine tune my boil off rate, so sometimes I just boil off till I get to target volume. In this case it would have been 6g.

I just downloaded this app. As I was playing with it I kept finding things I wish it had. With further playing I kept finding those things I thought were missing. Thanks a lot for some great software!

Subscribed. I'm a new all grain brewer, long time extract guy who was looking to get a beer tools like program then I ran across this thread so I just downloaded the software. Looks great so far. Quick question though, in the grain bill section, what's the first set of numbers i.e. 25 ppg? I understand the lovibond scale and that's the second number but never heard of ppg before...

Subscribed. I'm a new all grain brewer, long time extract guy who was looking to get a beer tools like program then I ran across this thread so I just downloaded the software. Looks great so far. Quick question though, in the grain bill section, what's the first set of numbers i.e. 25 ppg? I understand the lovibond scale and that's the second number but never heard of ppg before...

ppg = points/pound/gallon

it's a number to describe the potential fermentable sugars you get out of the grain bill

Palmer's text goes into detail about Typical Malt Yields

these are important numbers in calculating expected OG from just the amount and type of grain and the volume

If you are talking about in BrewPal, his database is already setup with most of the know available grains and I guess known/standard ppl per grain. I guess certain suppliers/brands might have different ppl's, but it's just an avg estimate. YOu can change it on the fly in your recipe for that grain if your grain has a diff ppl. The database however retains the original value.

You can edit the database and change the ppl values and even add a grain that is missing. YOu would then have to do research to assign it the correct ppl.

If you are talking about in BrewPal, his database is already setup with most of the know available grains and I guess known/standard ppl per grain. I guess certain suppliers/brands might have different ppl's, but it's just an avg estimate. YOu can change it on the fly in your recipe for that grain if your grain has a diff ppl. The database however retains the original value.

You can edit the database and change the ppl values and even add a grain that is missing. YOu would then have to do research to assign it the correct ppl.

PPL? Do you mean PPG, or are you going half metric on us (points/pound/liter)? :p

You can get these values from a grain analysis sheet from the malt supplier when you get a sack of bulk grain (it varies a little due to lot, growing season, maltster). If you're using extract, the supplier/LHBS should also have this information on hand.

PPL? Do you mean PPG, or are you going half metric on us (points/pound/liter)? :p

You can get these values from a grain analysis sheet from the malt supplier when you get a sack of bulk grain (it varies a little due to lot, growing season, maltster). If you're using extract, the supplier/LHBS should also have this information on hand.

Doh! yeah sorry. I was eating ,...got distracted.

OK I'm seeing it now. When you plug in the type of grain, it automatically adjusts the value. It didn't seem to do that at first but I just plugged in my recipe and it auto adjusted for each type of grain...

This program is awesome! The best thing about it is the support that is offered on here. Thanks.

It's Tinseth, but you can change the setting to use Rager.

Still the best App for composing recipes on-the-go and helping you on brew day EVAR!!!

Happy Holidays everyone!

I'm sitting here enjoying a pint of my Christmas beer and getting ready to submit 1.6.9 to the app store. I can't call it 1.7 because it doesn't have the BeerXML import/export I promised (I *am* working on it!), but it does have quite a lot of new features, which you will hopefully be playing with shortly. One nicety is the ability to change settings directly from the relevant tab (such as Tinseth vs Rager from the Hops tab), so you won't have to switch to the Settings tab anymore.

Re: Android... sadly, no, there are no plans for me to develop outside of the Apple + iTunes ecosystem. I work on Brew Pal in my free time and just don't have enough to give to learning/working in another development environment, sorry :(

Glad to hear you are continuing to improve the program. I'm always pulling out my iPod to fire up Brew Pal for one thing or another. It was also nice to hear your advertisement on the Sunday Session a few weeks back. I'm assuming that was you I was conversing with in the chat.

Yup, that was me :) I started advertising on the BN after meeting Justin and JZ at the Northern Brewer store opening in Milwaukee.

I'll keep improving Brew Pal for as long as people are using it!

Got the update! Thanks! Looks great.

Quick q:
withe the timers, the fermentation one in particular, will the app notify me even after the program is closed? Or does it reset itself after I exit.

Would be cool to somehow integrate it to the phones calendar.

Great update! Thanks for the continued work on this app. Hands down the best app I have on my phone.

I had an idea that I would love to see implemented if possible. I would love to be able to swipe (side-to-side) between screens just like on the app selection screen. Not sure if that possible, but it would make it much easier to get to some of the screens that I can only get to by selecting "More" and then scrolling through the list. Swiping thru the list of screens would be much faster and (to me) more intuitive.

Again, thanks for the work on this app.

Got the update! Thanks! Looks great.

Quick q:
withe the timers, the fermentation one in particular, will the app notify me even after the program is closed? Or does it reset itself after I exit.

Would be cool to somehow integrate it to the phones calendar.

I would like to know this about the timers as well

Very nice update. I like it even more now. Do the fermentation times tie to a recipe? So if I have multiple brews going will each timer stay running?

The only problem I have found is under the yeast settings, that the Lager keeps resetting to on when I try to turn it off. Is there a fix for this?

Back