Help with a Belgian Cherry Kriek

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVBeerBaron

Reaction score
My lady loves Cherry Kriek and i'd like to make some for her. I tried the recipe below and it's good but came out on the tart side. I'm looking to make it sweeter. I used 2 cans of oregan cherry puree in the 2ndary, I guess I should have used what the recipe called for. Does anyone know how I can make this sweeter or more like a Belgian Kriek instead of a tart cherry wheat beer? (aside from moving to Belgium and using an open fermentor:cross:)

3 lbs. pilsner malt
2 lbs. malted wheat
1 lb. flaked wheat
2 lbs. unhopped light dry malt extract (DME)
4 AAU well-aged aroma hops: such as Saaz, East Kent Goldings or Tettnang
(1 oz. at 4% alpha acid)
Belgian ale yeast slurry (White Labs WLP550 or Wyeast 1762)
Lambic yeast or bacteria culture (recultured yeast from commercial lambic, Wyeast 3278 or both)
6 to 9 lbs. cherries, raspberries, peaches or other fruit (picked fresh, washed, cut up and frozen until ready to use)
1 cup unhopped light dry malt extract (DME) to prime

Step by Step:
Heat 9 quarts water to 163° F. Crush whole grains and add, with flaked wheat, to liquor. Hold mash at 152° F for 75 minutes. Runoff and sparge with 12 quarts water at 170° F. Add DME, stir well, bring to a boil. Add hops, boil 60 minutes. Remove from heat. Add to fermenter along with enough pre-boiled and chilled water to make up 5.25 gallons.

Cool to 70° F, pitch ale yeast. Ferment at 68° F for two weeks, rack onto fruit in your secondary and add lambic culture. Condition cool (50° F) for three to four weeks. Rack into third vessel to clarify at 50° F for two weeks. Prime with DME, bottle and age at least three to four weeks at 45° to 50° F.

I'm guessing she likes one of the backsweetened varieties like Lindemans or St Louis. It's hard to do that in a bottle because you need the yeast/bugs to be alive to carbonate but they'll also explode the bottle if you add cherry concentrate.

You can get something like this: Cherry Juice Concentrate: A natural alternative to fight arthritis and gout
and add a teaspoon to the pint glass before you pour. That's how you'd sweeten a Berliner Weiss so it works.

I wonder if brett, pedio, lacto, etc., can eat splenda, stevia, etc? You can always try backsweetening with something like that.

Well, if you want more intense cherry flavor, I'd say just use more cherries, and go with the oregon puree cans.

I would make it into a extract and grain recipe.Take out the 2 lbs. of DME.And add 6 lbs. of German Gold Extract from W.B., 1/2-1 lb. of lactrose at the 15 min. mark of the boil and use a pouch of simplicity to bottle prime with.And PATIENTS!!!I wouldn't even open a bottle until it was at least 3-12 months old.

Latest posts

Back