Is it gonna blow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemaster

Reaction score
First attempt at soda; ginger beer.

Mixed up the sugar, syrup, water, and yeast last night and put it in a plastic gallon jug (left over from making apfelwein).

24 hours later the jug is bulging like crazy. Do I put it in the fridge already or wait 3 more days? It's not quite rock hard, but there isn't much give when I press on the sides of the bottle.

I don't want a bottle bomb!!! It's inside a plastic garbage bag as we speak.

BTW: I used champagne yeast

I'm definitely a soda n00b and admit I have not read much about making it.

Edit: I'm sorry. I broke the cardinal forum rule and posted a question without searching first. Please ignore this, and for those wanting to know the answer:

14) Place in a warm location for 24 to 48 hours. (Do not leave at room temperature longer than necessary to feel "hard." The excess pressure may cause an eruption when you open it, or even explode the bottle!) {http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/Ginger_Ale_Ag0.htm}

Thank you :mug:

I haven't had any blow. I just stick them in the fridge when they're hard. If it's hard and bulging, then it would be carbonated so you could put it in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back