Lactose intolerance..alternatives to sweeten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mensplace

Reaction score
In preparing to make a Framboise, I had planned to use some Lactose to sweeten the brew. Fortunately, there came the realization that the wife is severely Lactose intolerant, so this would impact ale making just as much..or more..than the consumption of dairy products. I don't want to kick up the alcohol, but merely sweeten the batch. I have heard of the use of other artificial sweeteners, but wonder if others might have preferred selections that would not impact the flavor in the way that a sacharine would.

Sucralose (Splenda) works very well for me and I have a history of problems with non-sugar sweeteners, both 'natural' and artificial.

+1 to the Splenda. I used 1 1/2 cups per 5 gallons of a raspberry beer. Worked out fine!

How about stevia? I've been interested in checking it out as an alternative to lactose sweetening.

It's non fermentable, and from what I can tell vegan friendly.

It can work but stevia has it's own taste issues. Add to much to a coffee and you see what I mean.

Local health food store had a whole bunch of new healthy sweetner alternatives when I was there last. I should have taken a longer look at what the were.

I donlt trust any of those man made sweeteners. Chemicals..bleh

I don't know much about using campden tablets, but theoretically you could always use some of those and then backsweeten with sugar. This will only really work if you keg, of course, but it is an option.

Local health food store had a whole bunch of new healthy sweetner alternatives when I was there last. I should have taken a longer look at what the were.

They were possibly stevia based. If I'm remembering correctly, the FDA approved stevia as a food additive not too long ago. Before that, it could be sold as...I forget what - dietary supplement, maybe? - but not as a food additive. Again, I'm not 100% sure about this, but that's what I'm remembering now.

They were possibly stevia based. If I'm remembering correctly, the FDA approved stevia as a food additive not too long ago. Before that, it could be sold as...I forget what - dietary supplement, maybe? - but not as a food additive. Again, I'm not 100% sure about this, but that's what I'm remembering now.

I think stevia per se is still banned (except as a dietary supplement) but there are some extracts made from it that are allowed as of late last year.

-1 to splenda haha. I mixed up a pint of apfelwein with it and did not like the result. It works for other people apparently though.

I was wondering the other day if lactose in beer was in the same ballpark concentration as in dairy products that would bother a lactose intolerant person.

I don't trust any of those man made sweeteners. Chemicals..bleh

I've always had the most trouble with the 'natural' non-nutritive sweeteners like sorbitol, xylitol and stevia. They all give me the runs.

I say just man up and brew real beer. (And yes, I know it is for your wife. Tell her to man up too!)

Kinda hard to "man up" after a day on the john with gut wrenching cramps...man or woman

Kinda hard to "man up" after a day on the john with gut wrenching cramps...man or woman

No it isn't! First you get a sense of humor, then you grow a pair.

And since I apparently need to spell this out for you the point was that real beer would not have lactose in it to cause the cramps in the first place.

;)

In preparing to make a Framboise, I had planned to use some Lactose to sweeten the brew. Fortunately, there came the realization that the wife is severely Lactose intolerant, so this would impact ale making just as much..or more..than the consumption of dairy products. I don't want to kick up the alcohol, but merely sweeten the batch. I have heard of the use of other artificial sweeteners, but wonder if others might have preferred selections that would not impact the flavor in the way that a sacharine would.

Lactose would be a bad idea in a framboise anyways, since only saccharomyces can't eat lactose, I know lactobacillus can, and I would be willing to bet brett and pedio can to.

Back