Single Hop APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubie Stout

Reaction score
I love Amarillo and I will be using it in a single hop APA coming up next. Taking Ed Wort's Pale Ale recipe and using it for hop experiments kinda like the SMASH beers I keep reading about.

I wanted to try a non-citrusy American hop. I was thinking either a Sterling APA or Williamette APA possibly Mnt Hood. What say you?

Thanks,

I just recently had an all Challenger APA--really liked it. And, honesty, I think Glacier is my new fave. I guess in some ways this hop shortage is forcing us to try and embrace other hops. I never would have used Glacier before. What say anyone else?

I like Willamette. I bough a lot of Willamette pellets a while ago, and they're almost gone. It's a fairly neutral variety, developed from Fuggles in the 1970s. Mild, with a pleasant bitterness and herbal, earthy flavor and aroma.

They make a fine hops for a single-variety ale. As long ago as 1998, Bert Grant was using Willamette in a single-hop beer he called "Springfest". It's a refreshing alternative to the citrusy "C" hops for an APA.

If I can't get Fuggles or East Kent Goldings, I use Willamette to hop my English-style ales.

Cheers,

Bob

EdWort's haus ale with all amarillos would be very good.

For a non-C American hop I would say try Mt Hood or Yakima Goldings, and use a Belgian yeast to make a Belgian Pale Ale. The Ardennes strain from Wyeast (3522) makes a great Belgian pale, or the DeKonick strain from White Labs when it's in season (WLP515).

my friend makes a mt. hood & belgian munich SMaSH that is just amazing.

it's not an APA, tho...far too malty and sweet. i think it would still be good if you balanced the other way, tho.

Got 2oz of whole leaf Sterling. Never used Sterling in an APA and never used whole leaf before! Ought to be interesting all around......

I have been doing an APA single hop series for a little while now. So far my favorites have been centennial, amarillo, and simcoe. I am planning to do Sorichi Ace next since I have 3 oz in my freezer that need to get used up pretty soon.

My next batch will probably be an APA with the Cluster that I just harvested from behind my grandmother's barn. APA was my first AG brew and I have been getting requests for it since the last bottles ran out a month ago.

+1 to Amarillo being the SUPER DUPER SEXIFICATION of all hops. It is SO delicious that I just can't stop raving about it, even though that keg was gone a LONG time ago.... I have a 1.044 Pale Malt + Centennial SMaSH in primary right now.

Sterling sure looks interesting, I've not used that hop before!

I, too, have 2 oz Sorachi Ace in my freezer, I think that one is up next. :)

it was pretty terrible in my APA, and i only used a small amount for bittering. i have some more left, and was thinking of going the american wheat route. we'll see.

I was thinking .33oz 60, .33oz 10, .33oz Dry Hop, and save the other 1 oz for a Wheat beer. I saw Austin Homebrew's SXSW beer and thought that looked interesting, I figured maybe I'd do an Agave-Sorachi Wheat brew.

I, too, have heard stories of its kick-in-the-teeth lemony good(bad?)ness. Like a Lemon Drop candie but not sweet.

I still really want to do a Pac Gem bitter. I meant to last week, but really wanted to try out my new pound of Centennials first.

It's still on the docket.

Additionally, I think I need to do a Munich + EKG a la Evan! because he said that stuff was teh TITS.

So-raunchy Ace! Not a big fan. I guess my supposition is that if you're showcasing one hop--spend a couple of extra bucks and get one worth showcasing, right?

Any word on some of these new hops: Newport? for instance?

Back