Hops in Phoenix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
My buddy and I were talking about planting Hops and where wondering if anyone is growing them in Phoenix and how are the working out?

I grew some last year and they fried in mid-June.

I'll be trying again in a different spot with more water and I will be using shade cloth as soon as it gets hotter. Right now they are about a foot tall.

I think the key will be getting them to survive 1 year and not focus on growth. I may even cut them back to keep the sun frm drying them out.

I chose Cascade and MT Hood because they are eary bloomers.

I will, if necessary, pull them out and have my Mom tend to them 25/7.

I am also trying to grow them on some land in the Christopher Creek area, but those are not in the ground yet.

olllllo said:
I grew some last year and they fried in mid-June.

I'll be trying again in a different spot with more water and I will be using shade cloth as soon as it gets hotter. Right now they are about a foot tall.

I just got mine in the ground Saturday morn. I don't like to hear that they fried in June...So are you saying that in direct sunlight they will not make it? I was originally going to put them in some shade but read everywhere that they love the sun???

Guess I could try that shade cover as well...probably from our friendly local HomeDepot?

I'm saying that my first order of business is to get them to survive a season.
I think that in this climate that they might start eariler and be more robust and hearty next year if I can get them to survive.

Much more water might have helped last year, I don't know. I just know that the heat is deadly for these guys.

I have my drip line going pretty well so I hope that they survive the year. Might look into that shade cover you spoke of.

:off:

I have a 1982 CJ7 Limited all original!!

Did yours make it? I got a modest harvest.
Won't be long and they should be starting up again.

Did you have yours in full sun or did you shade them? I'm thinking about growing some this year but not sure where to put them. Book, The Hombrewers Garden, says to put them with southern exposure. In Phoenix though, is it a different story?

So maybe full morning sun w/afternoon shade is a good approach? I might have just the right spot to plant (as long as my condo HOA doesn't mind). Hmmm, better drop off more homebrew to the HOA Pres.

According to my LHBS Chinook, Sterling, and Liberty varieties do reasonably well in hot environments... if you're looking for ideas on varietals.

Back