What catagory should i enter a Sour Kentucky Common?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyote68

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, i am going to enter my Kentucky Common sour ale in a homebrew competition. I'm not sure what catagory to enter it in. I think 23A specialty would be correct as this beer doesn't seem to fit any of the soured catagories.
any thoughts on this would be very helpful.
thank you

23A is where I'd go with it. Make sure you have a good description of what the beer is too. That's more important than the actual beer if you ask me. If you describe it poorly, judges don't know what you're going for.

cadillacandy said:
23A is where I'd go with it. Make sure you have a good description of what the beer is too. That's more important than the actual beer if you ask me. If you describe it poorly, judges don't know what you're going for.

This x 10.

I was judging Specialty this past weekend & we had 2 quite enjoyable beers that we couldn't score as highly as we might have b/c there was too little info to judge the brewer's intent.

Exactly. I once judged cat 23 with someone who described it very well - you judge in large part how well the brewer did what they said they did.

jeffjm said:
Exactly. I once judged cat 23 with someone who described it very well - you judge in large part how well the brewer did what they said they did.

My last 23 beer should have been "extra hoppy American wheat with moderately detectable flavors of burning rubber and plastic from a sanitation issue that I have since resolved." :)

Back