DOH! I am an idiot...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thood6

Reaction score
So I accidentally put star san in my aluminum pot and bottled and kegged using it as sanitizer. Lost my oxidation layer on my pot. Currently boiling to replace it. Should i expect any off flavors or infections as a result of this chemical reaction.

Always learning, I just never thought that i was putting an acid and a base together! :drunk:

So I accidentally put star san in my aluminum pot and bottled and kegged using it as sanitizer. Lost my oxidation layer on my pot. Currently boiling to replace it. Should i expect any off flavors or infections as a result of this chemical reaction.

Always learning, I just never thought that i was putting an acid and a base together! :drunk:

Is your bottling bucket an aluminum pot? Are you saying the same star san used to clean your bottles and kegs was first used in an aluminum pot which removed the pot's oxidation layer?

From Palmer's How To Brew:
Do not clean aluminum shiny bright or use bleach to clean an aluminum brewpot because this removes the protective oxides and can result in a metallic taste. This taste-detectable level of aluminum is not hazardous. There is more aluminum in a common antacid tablet than would be present in a batch of beer made in an aluminum pot.

No need to sanitize the pot. I also do not believe starsan affects the oxidation of aluminum like oxyclean does.

Aluminum naturally oxidizes in contact with air. No need to boil the pot, just let it air dry.

Don't feel bad, I've been a tard and have soaked my aluminum pot in bleach/water the last 3 or 4 brews. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

I just used the pot as a place to dump/sanitize my bottles before I start filling. I kegged and bottled so I transferred to the keg to sanitize the keg as well. I am just hoping that the acidity of the star San wasnt neutralized by the pot to the point where infection is an issue. Also I'm hoping whatever the product of the chemical reaction is doesn't cause unwanted off flavored or health issues.

Called the company and their chemist will call me on Monday. I'll post back with what says.

Only time I clean my brew pot is after finishing a batch to remove all the hop residue.

Latest posts

Back