Frozen yeast packet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dry I think you'd be okay. Just let the yeast warm to room temp first. Liquid, maybe too. With a liquid you could make a yeast starter using some LME or DME. 10 parts water to 1 part DME.

There are more experience brewers on this site, hopefully they'll chime in with accurate facts.

Good luck! :mug:

Liquid or dry yeast? IF dry, then just proof it before using it. Liquid, I would suspect would be really F'd up by freezing them (broken cell walls, etc.). In order for non-dry yeast to be frozen, you have to take extra steps in order to protect it from cell damage.

Proper starter formulation is 100G of DME to 1L of water... So it would be more like 10ML water to 1G DME. Unit of measure is rather important (IMO)...

I thank all for their input. Im guessing the best course of action is to just go get two more yeast packs and be sure of it as im not experienced enough to make a starter. Boy did I learn one valuable lesson here. DONT FREEZE THE YEAST...lol

Dry will be more resilient to freezing than liquid. Since dry is already dehydrated, there's no liquid left in the yeast cells to rupture with ice crystals (when they form). For liquid yeast, I would only leave in the fridge, not freeze. I'd also make sure to not place them in the really cold part of the fridge where they MIGHT freeze.

Back