Flaked Wheat, Torrified Wheat, or CaraPils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikeNC

Reaction score
I'm making a peach wheat beer (extract) in the next couple of weeks and wanted to use a small amount of grain to add a little body and also to help with head retention. I had about 4% CaraPils in the recipe, but wanted to know if either flaked wheat or torrified wheat would be better. CaraPils seemed pretty good because it doesn't effect the color much. Would one of the others be better? What are the differences (flavor, mouthfeel, etc.)? Would 4% be about the right amount to add?

Also, I was thinking about using about 80% wheat extract and the rest extra light dry extract. Would it be better to use close to 100% wheat extract? How would using that much effect the taste compared to around 80%?

Thanks!

I'm making a peach wheat beer (extract) in the next couple of weeks and wanted to use a small amount of grain to add a little body and also to help with head retention. I had about 4% CaraPils in the recipe, but wanted to know if either flaked wheat or torrified wheat would be better. CaraPils seemed pretty good because it doesn't effect the color much. Would one of the others be better? What are the differences (flavor, mouthfeel, etc.)? Would 4% be about the right amount to add?

Also, I was thinking about using about 80% wheat extract and the rest extra light dry extract. Would it be better to use close to 100% wheat extract? How would using that much effect the taste compared to around 80%?

Thanks!

Any of those would work. Since it won't be clear anyway, you could use flaked wheat.

Wheat extract is a mix of barley and wheat- usually around 65%/35% so even if you used 100% wheat extract, you'd still be using 65% barley. (I had to read that sentence three times, but it does make sense!)

That sounds great. Do you think roughly 4 oz of flaked wheat would work fine?

Do you know of any websites that has information about the compositions of different extracts?

Yep, just use wheat extract. However, I would opt on using CaraPils. Flaked/torrified/raw wheat really needs to be mashed. Since it's unmalted it would have to be co-mashed with a base malt.

Latest posts

Back