added sugar early....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moss

Reaction score
Hey guys my name is derek, i am new here. Just messed up my first batch of beer it think. I am doing a brew house kit for the first one and i just put the sugar when i racked it to the carboy for secondary fermentation..... i am kegging it in 5 days and am wondering if it is ruined or not, i think it is. i know it is stupid but i wont make this mistake again... thanks for any help.
derek

No worries man. My understanding is you added your priming sugar to the carboy when you racked it. Fermentation WILL begin again, and you'll have to just let it finish out. Any gravity calculations you have made will be wrong however, and your final ABV will be a bit higher. Let it go another two+ weeks, reprime and bottle!

Not a huge deal. I'm assuming you meant your priming sugar? How long was your primary? If it was long and FG stabilized, you might want to bottle now. If your primary was very short, then leave it to ferment out for a while and when it settles down, then add new priming sugar and bottle. But it will be more than 5 days.

Which kit? I just wrapped up making their Prairie Wheat a few moments ago.

B

thanks guys. i amm putting it into a keg so it was a short primary ferment. only 2 and a half days. So wait say a week and then rack it to the keg and reprime, then force carbonate and let sit for a week? just wondering if that is the time line i am looking at. It is the stout and i was really excited and messed up. thanks so much if there is anything else please let me know
derek

The time sounds a bit quick. My rule of thumb for my brews is to primary about 3-4 weeks and let the yeast settle out, then bottle or keg. If adding other flavours, use a secondary and depending on what you add, let it sit another few days or weeks, then bottle/keg. And then let it 'mature' for another few weeks. Rushing the process will only disappoint you and your guests.

B

if you're force carbonating, you don't need to prime. how much sugar was it? if it was less than a cup or so, it was probably priming sugar. if it was more (1 lb ish), then you added it at whats probably the right time. generally beers take at least 2 weeks to ferment properly, often longer. 2 days isnt close to enough, let that puppy go for another 2 weeks

two and a half days is not nearly enough time in the primary. At a bare minimum that should be in the primary for 7-10 days. Even better if you leave it for atleast 3 weeks.

Back