carboy stuck inside bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephan132

Reaction score
So i had the "great" idea of dropping my carboy inside a 6 gallon plastic bucket. I didn't have a handle for the carboy so I decided putting in a bucket with a handle was brilliant.

Well now i siphoned my finished beer out of it and now i have a carboy stuck in the bucket. It sitting about 1.5 inches above the bottom on the bucket jammed in. I tried putting some soap around it to loosen. I tried hot water, cold water.

Nothing is getting it out.

Any advice? Im trying not to ruin the bucket nor the carboy.

Set the bucket in hot water for a bit. It will serve 2 purposes. Expand the air under the carboy, and to soften the bucket. Then rock carboy out while holding bucket with a friend/ knees.

you could punch a whole in the bottom of the bucket...assuming its suction thats holding it in, and not friction.

Yep I also suggest hot water for the above reason...

If not that than I would would post it on craigslist as follows:

Corboy/Bucket Combo $75.00

Unique corboy with a bucket casing for easier movement and less sunlight to risk possible damage during fermentation. Note if you are on HBT or you know what SWMBO means please do not reply to this post. Otherwise get ready for the most advanced beer CORBOY coozy ever! :)

Yep I also suggest hot water for the above reason...

If not that than I would would post it on craigslist as follows:

Corboy/Bucket Combo $75.00

Unique corboy with a bucket casing for easier movement and less sunlight to risk possible damage during fermentation. Note if you are on HBT or you know what SWMBO means please do not reply to this post. Otherwise get ready for the most advanced beer CORBOY coozy ever! :)

hahaha thats awesome.

well after a good couple hours trying to get this sucker out. i think im close to giving up.

you win some you lose some. (also talking about the canadian juniors if anyones watches iihf)

Haha yeah I did the same thing. I had my brother hold onto the bottle and I pulled on the bucket. Thankfully it gave before anyone went flying.

Do the same when you can't get a tire to mount on a rim... lots of ether and a match! Seriously though, since your in toronto try setting it outside for an hour and then bring it in and set it in a sink full of hot water (don't let the hot water hit the carboy), this might let the bucket expand enough to let the carboy slip out.

Drill a hole in the side near the bottom and use: hot water; soap; a lever, whatever to get it out. Once it's out, just install a spigot where you made the hole - bottling bucket.

Bad idea. Glass won't shrink noticably. Besides, he got it out.

??
hahaha thats awesome.

well after a good couple hours trying to get this sucker out. i think im close to giving up.

you win some you lose some. (also talking about the canadian juniors if anyones watches iihf)

It's probably suction holding it in, so I'd just drill a hole in the bucket, I wouldn't use it as a bottling bucket though since it's likely all scratched up inside. You can still use the bucket, just won't be water tight.

Misread a post, my bad.

I say you throw it against the wall. It will be easier to get out when it is broken into a million bits.

Do you have access to compressed air? Get the nozzle between the carboy and bucket and blow. It'll pop the carboy right out.

...he says from experience :D

-Joe

Tie the carboy to the bumper of one car and the bucket to another car and accelerate rapidly in opposite directions. This usually works in cartoons and sitcoms for everyday tasks such as pulling teeth, getting your head unstuck from a banister, dislodging your privates from a hot tub jet, etc, etc.

Believe it or not, this is how LearntoBrew.com shipped my kit. I had a 5 gallon glass carboy (for secondary) STUCK inside my bottling bucket. It was a ***** to get out, but what I did was lay the bucket/carboy combo on it's side and grabbed the carboy by the neck and wiggled it back and forth until the "vacuum" that was created was broken and the carboy slid out. Boom shaca laca...

Tie the carboy to the bumper of one car and the bucket to another car and accelerate rapidly in opposite directions. This usually works in cartoons and sitcoms for everyday tasks such as pulling teeth, getting your head unstuck from a banister, dislodging your privates from a hot tub jet, etc, etc.

i thought most of these situations were "fun"!

Send in the Greased Up Midgets!!!!

And play the tune that South Park (the cartoon on Comedy Central) played when the underpants gnomes were on...

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, they are probably laughing their a$$es off right now!

so after a long time wrestling with this thing and contemplating using the dynamite suggestion, I gave it one more go in a bath of very hot water. after wiggling for about 10 minutes and prying the sides with wooden spatulas it finally came loose! a last hard yank it out it came (no pun intended)

thanks for all the tips

and note to all: a carboy most certainly does not fit in a bucket

Back