anyone run?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe C

Reaction score
well, let me preface with an explanation. For almost 3 years in college I ran D1 track. Unfortunately during that time I pulled both hamstrings, and decided to study rather than run. Now it's been nearly 2 years since I ran competitively and I miss it. I find it difficult to excersise for just vanity. I need competition.

Heres the catch: I'm a sprinter. I'm planning on training through the winter, but I have NO idea how to find open events that have sprinting events (100, 200, 400). There are tons of distance events, but I can't find full track meets. Does anyone here run, or know where I could look?

This is what you do:
1) Park your car your preferred distance from a biker bar (100, 200, or 400m)
2) Walk in to said bar
3) Ask who the ***** riding the Harley is
4) The cracking noise made by a pool cue snapping in half serves as your starter pistol
5) Run

These days I only run when being chased :) . Most colleges and some Junior Colleges have All Comers meets each year. I was in track until I finished college and I used to go to All Comers meets just for practice. Check the closest college team and see who has open meets.

I don't know where in MA/CT you are, but there a bunch of clubs in Boston that participate in track meets that encompass all events - Reebok Boston, Boston Athletic Association, Greater Boston Track Club. I used to run for GBTC, it's a great group. I know there are clubs in CT also, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

I used to also run short distances, but now that I'm older and am always trying to keep the weight off, I run farther distances. I think your hammies may enjoy a slower, longer run. You wouldn't believe how competitive a 5K or half marathon can be. Overall, I think the half marathon is a better option for healthy living. Of course, that all depends on the person. Give it a try, run a couple of miles and see if you can your competitive juices flowing again.

I don't know where in MA/CT you are, but there a bunch of clubs in Boston that participate in track meets that encompass all events - Reebok Boston, Boston Athletic Association, Greater Boston Track Club. I used to run for GBTC, it's a great group. I know there are clubs in CT also, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.
I am in Fairfield county. Thanks for the direction. Do you think if I contact someone from GBTC that they could possibly send me in a direction down here?

I used to also run short distances, but now that I'm older and am always trying to keep the weight off, I run farther distances. I think your hammies may enjoy a slower, longer run. You wouldn't believe how competitive a 5K or half marathon can be. Overall, I think the half marathon is a better option for healthy living. Of course, that all depends on the person. Give it a try, run a couple of miles and see if you can your competitive juices flowing again.
I've never really enjoyed running distances. I enjoy going fast, and running a 5k just doesn't excite me. My build is very speed oriented - compact/powerful My hamstrings have a bit of scar tissue, however I still have great strength. It's just unfortunate that there are distance races everywhere but no competition for us sprinters.

After going to the GBTC website, that is exactly what I would want to be involved in. Unfortunately, I am in Fairfield for my MBA so I am not around Boston currently (I'm from the burbs around boston). They look like a very competitive group and that's something I'd love to be a part of. Hopefully I can find something around Fairfield County or relatively close.

Joe C

Thanks for gathering some brewing runners together. What's funny is that I'm also a former sprinter, turned short distance, turned long distance, turned marathon runner! What cool about it all is that when people tell me they can never run distance, I reply by saying that I'm a sprinter by nature, but have come to enjoy long distance running. It really is simply a controlled sprint for me. For each successive distance, I always try to run at the fastest pace that I can endure for the length of the run. It took some readjustment as the miles began to increase, but over the course of a a few years, I found out I could actually run far and maintain a solid pace. My marathon was simply an offshoot of training. It's like wow I just ran 10 miles, could I do 13??? and so on. I'd say pop a Jamil podcast in the ipod and go run for 45 minutes! Anyway, it helps release the stress from the day as well. Then have a homebrew on top of it and your day is awesome! Enjoy.

Well, I found a website that appears to be a legitimate group of runners (according to track results from the USATF website), however the e-mail address is broken. I tried calling the person, with no response.

Hopefully I can find something around here.

postman - it's good to hear a former sprinter is still running. Do you tend to just do distance, or are you still getting shorter speed workouts in? If long distance is the only way I'm going to be able to compete then so be it... but I'd really like to try and give sprinting a few more shots before I'm over the athletic hill.

Latest posts

Back