Colman MLT, VERY small leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
so i have a Colman extreme cooler, and i bought a bulk head off of northernbrewer.com http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/kk-bulkhead.jpg

i picked up the smaller one, because the bigger one says a 1" min thickness and it wasn't that thick. so i installed it as the directions say, i only used one washer, but i have a very small leak, with the cooler over half way full and it sitting over two hours it didnt leak enough to "drip" but it was wet on the cooler.

what i worry about is the inside of the cooler, where the foam is, i dont want the mash to get in there and over time funk things up. oh i used thread tape too. anybody with some tips? i'm about to empty the cooler and take a picture.

the one thing i thought was strange, the large o-ring goes on the outside and the smaller one on the inside. the factory hole was just a little smaller then the small o-ring. just seems to be that the large one would go on the inside, anyway, ideas?

Hey Evan,

My best guess is that your options are as follows:

1. RDWHAHB half a drip in two hours is nothing to get grey hairs about.

2. Reassemble the fitting w/ more thread tape and also check all gaskets for proper seating.

3. Apply silicone liberally and let dry

I would not be overly concerned about wort leaking and "funking" up your cooler. Anything pre boil is not worth fretting over funk wise.

Good luck finding and fixing the leak in that it seems that's what you want to do.

Mike

I don't think this is ever thought of much but does anyone else find the idea of an OUTSIDE o-ring on a cooler to be completely stupid? If it's required to stop a leak, it means you potentially have the space/insulation filling up with wort. If that's the case, don't EVER take that fitting out or the smell will make you puke.

I'd never use it even if it comes with the kit. I'd want the outter wall to leak if wort was making it past the inside gasket. I'd recommend replacing the outside gasket with as many washers as it takes to make up the slack. They don't have to be stainless.

well i ended up switching the big o-ring and the small, it just makes more sense that way with the larger one on the inside! but i'll say having an o-ring on the outside would be like putting a piece of bubble gum in a dam leak, not really doing much at that point haha. anyway, switching the o-rings worked out great! all i need to do now is order some copper and i'm all-grain! god i can't wait!

Back