My FG is rising

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crobrewer

Reaction score
Hi ppl
I made a dark amber ale and at day 16 my fg was 1027 and today after 3 days my fg is 1030. My og was 1059 and i used s-33

You discovered a perpetual fermentation machine! Now you can just pull a beer off every now and then and add more water! You'll have beer for life!

Seriously though... One of them is an inaccurate reading.

SORRY guys it seems that the paper inside moved, but im still conserned that my fg stoped at 1027 is that too sweet??

Yeah definitely too sweet. And if you're planning to bottle you'll want it much lower to avoid bombs. What temp do you have it at and what yeast are you using?

i just gave my fermenter a good swirl to awake the yeast and i also lifted the temp for a few Cs. i hope this will fix the problem

Did you do what Beer-lord suggested? If the scale in the tube has shifted, you really don't know what the gravity is, but you can check the hydrometer in distilled water at the proper temperature. It should read 1.000. If it reads 1.005, then just subtract 0.005 from your gravity reading.

-a.

Did you do what Beer-lord suggested? If the scale in the tube has shifted, you really don't know what the gravity is, but you can check the hydrometer in distilled water at the proper temperature. It should read 1.000. If it reads 1.005, then just subtract 0.005 from your gravity reading.

-a.

If your paper scale moved once, it may move again. Keep some distilled water at hand to test your hydrometer each time. Correct for temperature if necessary.

I have heard this can be a problem. Would a possible solution be to mark 1.00 on the outside of the glass tube with a premanent felt pen or a ring of tape? The present inaccuracy due to the paper slipping would be readily apparent at each reading.

You could do that, but I'd be more inclined to take this as an opportunity to get a replacement. Keep the old one around as a spare.

Back