Recommendations for recipe with..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my brew has been going like a steam train? only 3 days and OG has gone from 1.058 to 1.010!! in 3 days wtf!

Anyway done a taste test and it still has a nice apple flavour little bit of fizz not too dry or too sweet so just about right, going by one of the online calculators makes the abv 7.2% which is about what i was aiming for.

I guess the taste will improve since this will still have a bit of a yeast taste to it until ive done a couple of cold crashes and racked it a couple of times.

So i guess its time to cold crash then.

checked earlier, took a sample and looks and tastes a bit fizzy? i take it that means its into secondary fermenting stage? which means it must have been ready. Well its in the fridge now ,will transfer into barrel tomorrow after work then crash for another 48 hrs ,then bottle ready for pasteurization.

I take it theres no reason why i cant bottle some for pasteurizing then put rest of barrel back into fridge and do the rest the next day?

since I want a still cider and it has a bit of fizz to it won't I need to allow it to de-gas first before bottling? it's now into its secondary container cold crashing for another 48 hrs , if I were to take out of fridge in couple of days and leave in same container at room temp I guess fermenting could start again?

but surely there would only be a very small amount of yeast in it so couldn't go much longer?

confused about aging now as well, reading a lot of posts on here about aging in bottles or carboy.

will aging make my cider darker as its very light in colour almost like a watered down orange juice.

Couldn't tell you about degassing or aging... I would be concerned about oxidizing the cider, and I have no experience with it as I like all my cider carbed. and sweet (requiring no aging)

Gotta remember that yeast re-produce VERY quickly. A few yeast cells can turn into a full fledged fermentation pretty fast.

And no, no reason you cant pasteurize a few at a time, long as the barrel is refrigerated the yeast will stay dormant.

decided to start pasteurizing my cider , done a case of 24 bottles ,doing rest tomorrow. amazing how much it's cleared after another crash, almost has the colour of strongbow now.

as there wasn't much carbonation don't think it will be a problem having bottle bombs.

will probably keep a case for xmas, case for new year and keep the rest for next summer, will probably try a bottle once a month to see how it's aged and how the taste has changed.

thought about maybe getting some oak chippings and try some in a gallon , not sure though?

I'm more of a "Oak only belongs in spirits" kind of guy, as I don't like oaked wine or beer, but you could certainly try it!

And yea, they should be great when aged to the summer!

nearly pasteurized it all now, on the last case of 24, after this one i will have 72 bottles, not sure how i lost 20 bottles worth. Suppose you lose quite a bit leaving an inch or two at the bottom of each container when you crash it.

Going to start thinking about my next batch to do now lol seen as i have a packet of yeast left over, time to hunt for some more juice, probably try juice from concentrate see how that goes.

The way I always hear it, from concentrate is fine for sweet ciders, but not really very good for a more tart cider. Might be worth a shot though! Plenty of people say it's good for apple wine.

And yea, I lost over a half gallon from the racking, but there were a lot of apple solids as well since I used raw, fresh pressed cider, so that could explain it.

may as well give it a go, as long as its drinkable and gets you pissed thats good enough for me haha

Back